Problem with TS2412

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with TS2412

The other day I went to use our TS2412 (grey) tablesaw and when I turned it on I heard a very loud, almost grinding noise. After turning it off (and unplugging it!) we discovered that when the belt is tensioned and the arbor pulley turns, there is a clunking sound once per full rotation. If the belt is not under tension it does not make a noise. Does it sound like we need to replace the arbor and/or arbor housing? I can't find our receipt for the saw, plus I don't want to have to bring it up from the basement to take to the service center, so I'd like to see if we can fix this ourselves.

Thanks!
    Erin

Not quite sure of what your description of "tensioned" is, but here's what you should check first.

Make sure the belt's not rubbing in the blade guard. Check the position on the shaft, of the arbor pulley----it may have loosened up and is hitting part of the arbor housing.

Take off the blade (all this unplugged) and see if you can pull or wiggle the arbor shaft---if so, you've got bad bearings.

These should at least narrow down the problem.
    Dave

Comment

Oops, I guess I don't know the right terms to use! Haha - I'll learn them!

By tensioned I meant that the belt is tight - the motor is pulling it taut. To untension the belt, we just hold the motor up so that the belt is loose.

When you say "Make sure the belt's not rubbing in the blade guard", what is the blade guard you are referring to? I thought the blade guard was the plastic covering on top of the table.

Thanks!
      Erin

Comment

Sorry---you're not the only one having trouble with terms----I meant the pulley guard, by the motor pulley. On my old Craftsman, the attachment is flimsey and you have to set it to avoid rubbing the belt.
        Dave

Comment

I checked the arbor, the arbor pulley, the pulley guard and everything else around the arbor area. Nothing seems to move. I've taken a photo of the area that can be seen here:

http://photos.yahoo.com/flappyr

When I turn the round dark piece on the right, I hear a clunk coming from inside the cast iron between the dark, round piece and the arbor pulley. The clunk happens once per rotation.

Thanks,
          Erin

Comment

I'm excited to say that I've fixed the problem! I decided to try and take the pulley off to see if maybe it needed resetting or something. When I went to unscrew the set screw I noticed that it was very loose. Well, low and behold, I tightened the screw and the noise is gone!

Thanks for the help!
            Erin

Comment

Working...
            X