low angle adjustable throat block plane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low angle adjustable throat block plane

I presently have the standard 21 degree block plane made in USA..Stanley I think
    Made in USA means it's "old" but excellent!

I am considering purchasing a 12 degree [OK 12 1/2 to 13 degree] low angle block plane.
    The style has an adjustable mouth/throat....

Prices vary from around $35.00 to close to $170.00.
    As a weekend warrior, I don't need the $170.00 model but....
    I wonder if any are still made in the good old USA?

I'd prefer to buy made in USA VS China or India or even Mexico!
    I suspect in the lower price range I'll have to purchase an off shore made.

Regarding the plane itself .... how useful is the adjustable mouth/throat?
    Do you actually have a different result using a 12 degree plane VS the standard 21 degree design?

And of course the big question...

Stanley, Gorz, Footprint, Beily, Soba etc.etc. what brand would you suggest?

I understand the lower end/priced models will require fine tuning out of the box.

I looked at the various models and read reviews and not a single brand today
    seems to jump out saying "me-me-me"

Yes the best is Lie-Nielsen but I can't justify $165.00

Any input from the experienced plane users will be appreciated.

Cactus Man
    Last edited by cactusman; 02-23-2014, 10:40 AM.

Re: low angle adjustable throat block plane

Cactus; I have a low angle with the adjustable throat--can't remember the last time I adjusted it--no need to. The difference between the low angle and the 21 is like comparing a Cadillac to a 1950 3/4 ton trucks ride.

Comment

Sometimes you can pick up an older Stanley in eBay at a good price.
      Check out Pat Leach's Blood and Gore website for info on all the Stanley line.

The Superior Works - Patrick's Blood & Gore: Preface

The new Stanley's are very nice and decent workers. Price is not too bad compared to the others, but will be more than a used one. I like the new planes but the price holds me back for the little bit I use them. I can justify 40 or 60 for a used one in near new condition, but I always check Pat's site to see if that particular model is a dud or not.

I picked up a new in the original box 50s era model 60-1/2 for under $50 a couple years ago. Thereare probably a dozen or more on there now. Read about the various models and their good and bad points on Pat's site, then go shopping.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 02-23-2014, 05:26 PM.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

It's the Ballz
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Well the low angle block plane arrived.
          I ordered a "SOBA" but the plane and on the box has the name "RIGHT"

I suspect this is made in INDIA.

It was shipped from England.

Bottom line..I'm very pleased with this plane.
          the sole was flat and well machined.

I did have to disassemble it to wipe off the protective oil all over it.

The blade out of the box was OK, but I did kiss it to
          remove a burr and just a slight sharpening.

This is my first plane with an adjustable mouth and I like it.

Cactus Man

EDIT: I did hear from where I purchased this plane. The manufacturer of the plane is "SOBA"
          in INDIA. They have decided to name this series of planes "RIDER".
          Last edited by cactusman; 03-07-2014, 08:04 AM. Reason: updated information

Comment

Working...
          X