Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to repair existing wooden windows?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to repair existing wooden windows?

We have Andersen windows that came with the house, which was built in 1994. They are "builder grade" wood on the inside and white vinyl clad on the outside. Some of them have escaped argon/nitrogen gas, and we get condensation inside. As a result, we get mildew and the wood looks like it is dried out.

We had a guy from "Renewal By Andersen" come out and he quoted us $39k to replace all 21 windows. We're planning on staying in the house for about 10-12 more years, and I have concerns about them becoming a liability when it comes to selling.

I suppose the choices are: do nothing, attempt some sort of repair to the wood, get them replaced. I'm leaning toward the repair, but don't know how to do it or if it is even possible. Are there any tips on what I can do short of replacing them?

Thanks.

Re: Possible to repair existing wooden windows?

I was thinking those old Anderson windows were life time guaranteed,
    our church as them in the fellowship hall of the building we built in 1980 and the local lumber yard will get us the things we need,

I know people around here have got replacement sashes on those units, (some thing broke out the glass)

I see the new is 20 years on glass and 10 on wood, Window & Door Warranty

but one should be able to get replacement sashes for the windows and not replace the complete unit, and if not one should be able to replace the window with a like window but new manufacture with going through the renewal windows,
    http://parts.andersenwindows.com/

not saying there cheap but most likely cheaper than replacement windows, http://parts.andersenwindows.com/ite...ment_sash.html

Idea, on the sash depending on what ones have failed one may be able to swap depending on size with different windows say you have one that is viewed through a lot, and has a bad light in it, but one ok but there is a window the same size in a bed room, one may be able to replace both in the main area window and move one to another location so if the glass is different it is not a obvious by moving some things around, also if money is a problem one can do one her and one there, I think or what I remember, if your have way handy it should be DIY task to replace the sashes, ( may be wrong but I think there all the same right and left is the same sash it is how the hard ware mounts)

once you choose the correct sash if you click on more info, there is a video on how to replace the unit one on stationary and on the movable units,
    Last edited by BHD; 02-26-2014, 10:36 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

WOW.......average $1,857.00 a window !! Must be SOME windows. I'm sure that I'd be looking for alternatives also. Or maybe I'm just out of touch with that estimate in today's world.

Ron

Comment

The whole thing was due to the fact that my wife is too nice to solicitors who come to the door. She's very short with them when they call on the phone, but we lost 3 hours Monday night because she said OK to a free sales pitch. I love my wife, but this stuff drives me crazy. She agreed with my plan to put up "No Solicitations" signs on the mailbox and front door area.

I actually found a place in town that restores windows, some on site depending upon the job. It might be possible to have them rebuild or at least do what's necessary to restore the finish and integrity. And I'm pretty sure it will cost less than $39k.

Comment

Joe, have you talked directly with Andersen? I had Andersen windows that ha a gas problem and they replaced them for free. It sure would be worth it to give it a try. They have been in business a long time and have always stood behind their products. You didn't say if they are casements, double hung , sliders or what. Regardless of which type they are, it is very easy to change the sash. Even the most difficult one wouldn't take over ten minutes a sash.
          Last edited by Pipestone Kid; 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM.

Comment

If You had a Mill Guard window It's guaranteed for life ! I was a pela a a certified Con't for Years. No one beats Mill Guards warrantee. They change out failed I G. [ insulated Glazing ] daily with their service trucks . They also make a lot of I.G. for other window Manuf.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

We had Anderson windows from 1968 in our house, they still made the sash replacements for them. I bought one sash set from Anderson to test the fit, then ordered the rest through Home Depot. There is a code number on the edge of the window glass somewhere that identifies the window replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
                The whole thing was due to the fact that my wife is too nice to solicitors who come to the door. She's very short with them when they call on the phone, but we lost 3 hours Monday night because she said OK to a free sales pitch. I love my wife, but this stuff drives me crazy. She agreed with my plan to put up "No Solicitations" signs on the mailbox and front door area.

I actually found a place in town that restores windows, some on site depending upon the job. It might be possible to have them rebuild or at least do what's necessary to restore the finish and integrity. And I'm pretty sure it will cost less than $39k.
                So you are saying this is someone who just came knocking on your door uninvited?
                JUST SAY NO! !!! and close the door.
                Call any local builder or remodler and get two or three quotes.
                Or, go to HD or Lowes or your local lumber yard and get prices on replacement units which you can swap out yourself or have someone help you if beyond your capabillities by yourself.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

My mom got a quote from Sears for $17k to replace the windows in her mobile home. I bought good vinyl windows from lowes which were not hard to install for about 10% of that as I remember.

Good vinyl window should be a couple hundred depending on the size, gets more pricey with the wood finish on the inside. I like the all vinyl.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    So you are saying this is someone who just came knocking on your door uninvited?
                    JUST SAY NO! !!! and close the door.
                    Call any local builder or remodler and get two or three quotes.
                    Or, go to HD or Lowes or your local lumber yard and get prices on replacement units which you can swap out yourself or have someone help you if beyond your capabillities by yourself.
                    My wife opened the door for two guys going around trying to set up appointments. They basically said that since she wasn't sure yet, they'll schedule someone to come by Monday night for a free in-home evaluation. I've asked her over and over to not say anything besides, "We're not interested, good bye" but it hasn't sunk in yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X