X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can i cut a 67.5 degree bevel on a table saw or compound miter

Help please im going nuts on this one. Im building a Gazebo bird feeder and the book says that the long sides must be bevel cut at a 67.5 degree angle. My table saw and compound miter only go to 45 degrees anyone out there have any help for me thanks in advance
    mikey

Mikey.
    I believe what you have to do is stand the board on end and set the saw bevel at 22.5 degrees
    (the complement of 67.5 degrees). You should use an aux fence and saddle to make this kind of cut.

Lorax [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Okay i made the auxilary fence and saddle. Now i can i get the cut to go across the .75 edge of the board istead of up in the peice. I know its something simple but i havent found it yet. Pleas help
      mikey

Comment

zawzaw,
        Sounds like your Gazebo is an octogon, with eight sides. The corners of an octogon will be 135 degrees, made from two sides that meet with 67-1/2 degree angles.
        When you cut a piece square, it is 90 degrees, and if you swing your miter gauge all the way to either side, you can cut a 45 degree angle. Half way between 90 degrees and 45 degrees is 67-1/2 degrees, the angle you will need to cut.
        The same applies if you are tilting your blade to make the cut.
        In either case, you will probably need to make adjustment to get it at exactly 67-1/2 degrees, any variance will not let the eight sides come together properly.
        Is this the information you are looking for?
        If it don\'t fit, force it. If it breaks, \'needed fixin\' anyhow. 8{~

Comment

Mikey,
          I sent you an e-mail. [img]smile.gif[/img]
          Lorax
          "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Zawzaw,
            If you are building an octagon bird gazebo bird feeder....I built an minature(6' tall, cedar shake roof, copper ridge caps, copper and brass goose weather vane) octagon gazebo for my wife's concrete geese. The corners would be 45 degrees (8 X 45 = 360). Set your table saw blade to 22.5 degrees. Set your fence to something slightly less than the width of the material. Place one side of your material up on the table saw and rip it. Move your fence slightly so that the blade will exit at midpoint of the thickness of the material. Now place the other side of the material up and rip. 22.5 = 22.5 = 45. 180 - 45 = 135. Lots of angle cuts on an octagon. It was a good learning experience for me. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
            X