X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax for my TS2424

Before I do something REALLY dumb, let me ask here.

I have been meaning to apply some wax to the top of my 6 month old TS2424. I don't exactly remember where, but someone told me back when I bought it that by "paste wax", the TS2424 manual was meaning something like some PLAIN turtle wax.

I wanted to make sure this was REALLY correct before I turned around and applied it to my table saw.

Is this right? Furthermore, what parts of the saw should I include in the waxing? By that I mean, just the top of the top and extensions, or all of the cast iron surface.

Again, thanks for the cools tools, Ridgid. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Furthermore, what parts of the saw should I include in the waxing? By that I mean, just the top of the top and extensions,

Yup. Good coat of paste wax every few weeks will protect it and keep it looking good.
    Support Our Troops!
    www.mnpatriotguard.org
    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Capt
      Don't use Turtle Wax as it probably contains silicone which is not not good for the wood. I use Minwax paste wax readily available at Home Depot. I pretty much wax everything - the iron extension tops, the rails, miter gauge bar. You only need to do this every couple of months. Hope this helps. Dave

Comment

Just make sure that the wax does not contain silacone. It can get on or absorbed into the wood and finishes will not work properly.

I use Butchers Wax (Bowling Alley Wax) which I picked up at my local Hardware Store. I have also seen it at Home Depot.
        Mark

Comment

Another fine product is a spray on sealant called TopCote®. Mfg. claims its slicker than paste wax. I don't know if it is or not but wood does slide very easily on my saw. I've found it can be hard to find locally here but Woodcraft does handle it.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

If your shop isn't heated at a constant temp, make sure you heat the top up to about 60 degrees before waxing. I personally have found that it makes the whole task easier and less time consumming.

Remember that one coat isn't the limmit. If you want to put 5 coats on, do it. I usually put on 3 coats a month, but I clean my top every time before waxing. I use white vinegar and steel wool to clean the top, and then Johnson's paste floor wax to wax it. The operation usually takes a couple hours. If you hav a palm sander, you can always take a green scowering pad instead of steel wool, but from maginification photos I have seen, the wool does less gouging of the surface.

As stated above, stay away from any wax containing silicone, which pretty much rules out all automotive waxes. The silicone will stain the wood and wreak havoc on finishes.

It is also a good idea to clean and wax your fence rails while your at it. You will appreciate the ease in which it takes to tap your fence to the proper measurement after a good cleaning/waxing.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
            Wisdom is the toughest of teachers, she gives the test first and the lesson after.<br />Laz

Comment

Thank you everyone for the great responses. Maybe I am learning my lessons in life a little better, as I actually asked BEFORE I got out the turtle wax.

I'll have to save it for my car (or my wife's car) and head to home depot or woodcraft someday for something silicone free.

Thanks again.

Comment

I use a product called CorrosionX - which is a pretty fine lubricant and rust preventor. Mostly I use the stuff for my fishing reels - which take a real (no pun intended) beating in the salt. It seems to bond to the metal. Haven't noticied any ill effects on the wood I've used, but then I haven't tried to finish anything either. Spray on and wipe off.

Comment

I use Minwax paste wax from HD's and steel wool to freshen the top...gotta do it soon too...been awhile.
                  Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

The people at woodcraft turned me on to the Boeshield T-9. So far, the stuff is great. I use it on the bandsaw, Tablesaw, Lathe bed, Jointer, or wherever I see a surface that may rust. the nice part is that it sprays on, wipes off, then you can wipe other tools with the same rag. I would have to say that if time is important, it's faster than paste wax.(no buffing either)

Downside: it cost me something like $14 bucks for the can.

Comment

TopCote is what I use and I get it from WoodCraft. It works well and is super easy to use. It made my 3612 fence go from a sqeeky pain in the butt to pure heaven to use.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                      X