12-1/4 in.
    Tool Weight
    11.4 lbs.
    Shipping Weight
    12.6 lbs.
    Includes

Pipe Handle
    now I was looking and saw a Dewalt for a lot less money,
    Amazon.com: DEWALT DW130V 9 Amp 1/2-Inch Drill with Spade Handle: Home Improvement

Description:

• Variable speed reversing switch avoids air bubbles when mixing mud
    • Soft grip handle
    • Includes 3-position side handle, 2-position rear spade handle and chuck key with holder
    Motor 9 amp
    Speed 0-550 RPM
    Chuck 1/2"
    Capacity/wood (spade bit) 1-1/2"
    Capacity/wood (selfeed bit) 2-9/16"
    Capacity/wood (holesaw bit) 5"
    Capacity/wood (auger bit) 1-1/2"
    Capacity/steel (twist bit) 1/2"
    Capacity/steel (holesaw bit) 3"
    Weight 7-1/2 lbs.
    the Dewalt is 2 more amps

rated for a 5" hole saw in wood, the Milwaukee is only rated for 4"

from seven corners hardware on there going out of business sale, that has both on sale the Milwaukee @$208.25 the Dewalt @ $157.25,

how would you compare the two drills, I do not just want lower cost, but do not want to spend more than necessary, any one actually handled both of them, I do like the pipe handle on the Milwaukee unit,

what I am wanting to use the tendon cutter for is on fence corners where one builds a H looking brace and this would be for the horizontal brace between the posts, yes there are cheaper ways to do this but this looked like a good way as well, and my old black and decker 1/2" drill is not that great, and I would use the other drill I have set up for the 2" self feed bit.

I have many of them to build this next year, most all the others are in much need of repair, and in some places they do not exist on some of the fences that were started as temporary fences, and became permanent, over time, I probably have 15 to 20 to build, and would like a little better drill to do the job,

It is looking like to me spec, wise and $ wise the Dewalt is currently in the lead, unless some one can give me a compelling reason not to, or why the Milwaukee I still a better buy,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 03-28-2014, 05:29 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: drill choice question?

I know you already bought the tennon cutter but did you consider using a loose tennon?
    Use a 2" Forstner bit and a some 2" diameter dowell cut to length. Or maybe go a little
    smaller on the tennon and use two loose 1" or 1.25" tennons.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Interesting that the tennon cutter website recommends the milwaukee hole hawg right angle drill. Yet shows the straight drill.

I do own the milwaukee drill and use it for my portable pipe dril press.

The milwaukee has a lot more aluminum in the body than the dewalt.

I don't own that dewalt drill, but the specs look good.

The tennon cutter looks like a giant pencil sharpener on steroids.

Sure beats old school.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

BHD, Is that "seven corners hdwe" the one in St. Paul, Mn.? If so, I have spent many hours "drooling" in that store.

Comment

Might be why they're going out of business. Couldn't afford the janitor mopping up after you

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

That's pretty neat, a giant pencil sharpener.

Comment

Are you making some log furniture? Pictures of the finished product would be neat to see.

If the Milwaukee drill doesn't have variable speed control then I would think that the DeWalt might give you better control when starting the cutting process.
              ================================================== ====
              All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                BHD, Is that "seven corners hdwe" the one in St. Paul, Mn.? If so, I have spent many hours "drooling" in that store.
                yes it is, sad to see a business that has been going for so long go away,
                Seven Corners Hardware was founded in 1933.. We have been serving contractors, professional woodworkers, homeowners and hobbyists for over 80 years! We have a 10,000 square foot retail hardware store and two warehouses with over 60,000 square feet of storage. Welcome to Seven Corners Hardware

Seven Corners Hardware will be closing its doors soon after 80 years of business.
                STORE CLOSING SALE !! Everything's On Sale. Up to 50% Off! Nothing Held Back!

Seven Corners Hardware, Inc.
                216 West 7th Street
                Saint Paul, MN 55102-2521
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  Are you making some log furniture? Pictures of the finished product would be neat to see.

If the Milwaukee drill doesn't have variable speed control then I would think that the DeWalt might give you better control when starting the cutting process.

no furniture at this time, I was hoping for a better method of making the brace corners of fencing,
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

BHD, I wouldn't worry about variable speed. My neighbor has these cutters. I have used them and believe me when you stat to cut, you want full speed and ease it into the work. Kind of like a joiner--you wouldn't want to start cutting at half speed.

Comment

Working...
                    X