X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid Planer

I'm picking up your 13" planer tommorrow. Since I've never used one but have read lots of reviews, I anticipate snipe on longer boards to be my #1 concern------what's your take on the initial set-up to minimize this potential problem?

Bob,

Setting up the infeed and outfeed tables is the most important step to preventing snipe. You will see that the end of the outfeed and infeed table closest to the main table will be slightly lower than the main table, this is by design. The thing to worry about is the tip of the outfeed and infeed table not the inward part. In the instructions it states that you should level the tables by setting a straight edge on the main table and bring the tips of the feed tables up to the straight edge. Feed a piece of stock through and see if you get a snipe. If you do, lift up slightly next time you feed the board. If the snipe is reduced adjust the table upward. If the snipe worsens, push down slightly as you make the next pass. If the snipe is lighter then the table needs to be adjusted down. On a portable thickness planer you will never eliminate the snipe completely, but if you can sand it out with 100 grit sandpaper you are doing good.

Jake

Comment

Jake,
      Perhaps I'm out of step, but I just rough cut my boards a little long and then cut off the snipe if any. I simply don't worry about it. That doesn't mean I haven't set my planer up to minimize snipe but it cannot be entirely eliminated so I just cut my boards a little long before planing. I have more important things to worry about, like how do I sneak a new tool in past my wife.

Gene

Comment

hahaha, hysterical, I just snuck the 13" planer past my wife last night. Hey guys, any idea where I find the vaccum attachment for it? Home Depot has stopped carrying it.

Comment

All RIDGID accessories are available at www.ridgidparts.com. You can order the dust chute from there along with any other accessory or replacement part RIDGID makes. You can also call 1-800-4RIDGID for parts and accessories.

Jake

Comment

Thanks guys....I've got a handle on it(I bought more sandpaper and longer boards!!).

Comment

Thanks, Jake. I just replaced my piece of crap Delta planer with the TP1300 last night. I was concerned about the innermost edges of the infeed/outfeed tables being lower than the main table and came here hoping to find some info. I'm straight now. I've got to say, I'm impressed with the support Ridgid offers it's customers.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TStin:
                I'm impressed with the support Ridgid offers it's customers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what we like to hear.

Jake

Comment

I purchased the Rigid 13" planer last night and set it up. There was some snipe on the beginning and end of the board I was using. The snipe was not major, but noticable. The snipe on the end of the board is much less than the begining. I have had experience with snipe on the end of the board before, but never the begining. Is snip on both ends of the board normal? Also, It seemed thatif I used a short board (2 feet or so) the board would jump up at the end as the first roller grabbed it. I was wondering if the board jumping and the snipe at the begining of the board are normal? I have yet to clean and wax the table and clean the rollers as stated in some other post. Will doing these steps take care of the jumpin and front end snipe?

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

Jake, I'm interested in football's comment regarding the vaccuum attachment that "Home Depot has stopped carrying it". I had a similar issue finding a 8" dado insert. If they are the EXCLUSIVE retailer for your product line, should they not be required to carry the "basic" accessories too?

Just a thought [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    Mark

Comment

We'll since they are our customer, I can't require them to carry anything...that's why we have made all accessories available directly to the end user.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                      X