No announcement yet.

Outdoor wood table top

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor wood table top

Planing an outdoor cooking area and would like to make a table top out of Cumaru. How best to joint and fasten boards to avoid splits, movment? Have joiner, planer, biscut joiner to use. Want top to shed water, not spaced as in a deck. This is for my XL Big Green Egg. Thanks

Re: Outdoor wood table top

I've never worked with it, but found this link doing a search:

Cumaru | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwoods)

It has a high oil content, so you will probably want to use acetone to clean the edges before gluing. I used this approach on some 5/4 cedar decking when making tops for column bases, and it seemed to work well. I used a polyurethane glue that foamed up when cured. AFAIK, the joints are still holding (it was a project for someone else). Wood is going to come and go with changes in weather and humidity and you need to plan for that. Avoid miter joints at the corners at all costs. They will blow apart over time. I don't think your biscuit jointer is going to make much difference in strength, but will make it easier when aligning the boards. You didn't say how big the top is, or what the base for the top is going to be, so I can't be specific in fastening, other than you want to leave the width of your top free to come and go. There are a plethora of different fastening methods depending on what your base will be made out of.

The above website also recommended predrilling. I'm assuming that would be to avoid splitting, and to prevent your stripping or snapping screws.

Hopefully someone with experience with cumaru will chime. I enjoyed working with cedar, but it's probably at the other end of the scale for density, so the only comparison I had was on oil content. Good luck with the project and keep us posted.

Re: Outdoor wood table top

I've used it on small projects and lathe turnings.
      Regular wood glue has provided adequate bonding.
      The size of your project, thickness of stock, glue surface area
      may all have a bearing. I would try Titebond 3 along with
      the biscuits and perhaps a few butterfly splines to
      strengthen the joint. Will be awaiting pics.

I want to know, which is the best wood to be placed on the garden table? I am very confused about it. Any help would be appreciated. You can also look at this now for details on wood. May be it would be easy to understand.

I do not know what is "best", traditional woods for out door use are red wood (not the white sap wood), and or a ceader wood like in fencing, teak was used for ship decks, tounge and grooving it could be an option, one could most like chisel or saw the bottom so there is not a slot between them,

Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

I built my front porch out of cumaru; its a good tropical hardwood, machines well, and has excellent outdoor properties. I used 4/4 material and milled 1/4 tongue and groove, no glue. Mechanical fastened using stainless trim screws through tongues on 45 degree so no nails showed, and pipe clamped as I went for a super-tight fit. I used a clear marine finish and applied to tongue and grooves as I went for maximum water protection.

I live in southeast Louisiana, lots of heat, humidity, sun/UV, and rain. Porch is 10 years old and still looks great with minimal effort in maintenance.

Cumaru will work well for your Egg Table. Other woods you may want to use would be Teak (previously mentioned), Ipe' (highly recommended), Spanish cedar, or mahogany. As previously mentioned - what ever species you choose - avoid sap wood!

Make sure to pre-drill to keep from splitting boards!

any other wood than cumaru that can be used in garden furniture , anybody like to comment on specific wood that can resist affects of water and require least maintenance.

Redwood, cedar, Cyprus and white oak.