Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero Clearance for DW708 SCMS or fence?

I have a question about zero clearance for my SCMS. I'd like to eliminate all tearout (or noticeable tearout ) on my DW708. I'm thinking of starting by creating (or buying if it's easier) a zero-clearance plate for my miter saw. The other alternative that I can come up with would be to add a miter fence system either simple (MDF boards in an 'L' configuration ) or complex (Kreg). What are people's opinions on the best way to eliminate tearout on a SCMS?
    My shop:
    Ridgid TS2424 w/Forrest WWII
    Incra TSIII w/Wonderfence & rt. side table
    Old Shopmaster 14" bandsaw
    Sunhill 6" Jointer
    DW708 SCMS w/Forrest Chopmaster
    Delta Shopmaster drillpress
    Incra Router Lift
    Pro Ftr guides
    2 Grrrippers & 2 GripTites
    CMJ splitter
    10 fingers

What blade are you using? I'm not familiar with the quality of the stock blade that came with your SCMS but alot of saws come with blades of questionable quality. An upgrade to a better blade, like the Freud LU91 for example, may just solve your tearout problems.

On my CMS, I sometimes use a miter fence and it does a good job of minimizing tearout. In order to maintain as much cutting capacity as possible, I made mine out of ΒΌ" hardboard. I also have a ZCI as my saw came with a blank insert that required me to cut the kerf out.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I added the Forrest Chopmaster 12" to it - cuts like a dream. It's just that some of the peskier woods (like cherry) seem to have a little nick or two out the back side - closest to the fence. It has a place for a zero clearance inset, which I've heard some people say will fit 1/4 plywood very well, but there are no phenolic or artificial plates on-line that I can find.
      My shop:
      Ridgid TS2424 w/Forrest WWII
      Incra TSIII w/Wonderfence & rt. side table
      Old Shopmaster 14" bandsaw
      Sunhill 6" Jointer
      DW708 SCMS w/Forrest Chopmaster
      Delta Shopmaster drillpress
      Incra Router Lift
      Pro Ftr guides
      2 Grrrippers & 2 GripTites
      CMJ splitter
      10 fingers