X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRAFTSMAN..DELTA...OR RIDGID JOINTER.

HELP ME OUT HERE GUYS. LOOKING AT BUYING ONE OF THESE VERY SOON AND I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER FOR A LONG LONG TIME. LOOKING AT THE 6" MODELS. WHICH ONE IS THE BEST? PLEASE HELP!

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS...JUST NOTICED...

THANKS.

GREG
    GREG.FINN@ATTBI.COM

I have the Ridgid and I am very pleased.
    It is a solid machine and Ridgid offers a lifetime warranty.

I looked at Delta but felt for the money Ridgid was the best buy

I was not real impressed with Sears

I have never used either of the others

Comment

It's easy ridgid all the way!
      Andy B.

Comment

There is a few reviews out there showdowning several makes and models. Ridgid got good reviews with minor negitive comments. I would have to say the worst comment isn't from review articles, but from comments on these forums. And that's dealing with HD. For the money, and with the warrenty, and the hastle free return/exchange policy of HD, it's by far the better deal (and no added shipping charge). Especially considering the support you get on these forums, and from the professionals at Ridgid. Accessories are just a few mouse clicks away. Mine came set up out of the box, just assembly required. Replacement blades are fairly priced, and easy to obtain. It can be wired for 240v, comes wired for 120v. Adjustments when needed are detailed in the manual. Ridgid manuals are downloadable and free from the Ridgid site in case you misplace yours.

You will need to purchase a knife setting jig, as you would with any other jointer. And with the high carbon content of the beds and fence, it will rust easy if not taken care of, as with any other high quality jointer.

It has independant adjustable rubber feet to aid in the must uneven floor surface. Dust collection is a built in shute to a 4" connection. An accessory dust collection package is available from Ridgid for the jointer.

It's a solid unit with easy to use adjustment wheels, and easy to read setting scale. It comes with an angle jig and 2 push blocks and wrenchs.

It is a heavy machine, you will need help to assemble it.
        John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

John, I thought the knife setup made using a jig unnecessary? I'm on my way to HD this afternoon to buy the jointer and was going to set it up over the weekend. If I need an alignment jig, do you have any suggestions as to where I can get one?
          Thanks,
          JohnD

Comment

John;

The Thickness Planer does not need a jig, the knifes are indexed.

The Joint Planer should come set up from the factory. When you slide your knifes to offset nicks, or replace them, you will need a jig. I ordered mine from Woodcraft, but is still on back order. They should be sending it anyday (hoping so I need to replace my blades bad). Here's the link:

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/...24B77F68538BEE

For Woodslayer (below)

I've been using magnets and a metel steel straight edge to set them. But I'm tired of fighting that ordeal. A jig will make things alot easier and faster. You'll still have to adjust your tables with a straight edge unless you really fork over some mula for one of them precision alignment tools. I can't see the investment for a one man, one jointer operation.

[ 03-07-2003, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]
            John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

G-Man

I picked my Ridgid up over the holidays for $360; at that price it was a no-brainer. My experience with jointers in limited but I’m pleased with the Ridgid and would buy it again. I was contemplating this jig for blade alignment when it comes time to replace them, has anybody tried this method?

Woodslayer

http://www.fortunecity.com/business/busfour/64/id18.htm

Comment

Working...
              X