delusions of grandure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• delusions of grandure

You guys and gals are going to think i am nuts (if you dont already), with this idea but i figure what the heck, ask anyway.

and for the legal disclaimer....if this is doable....PATENT PENDING....LOL

Anyway i picked up a couple of Fuller 3 piece chisel sets very cheap on ebay. The blades were made in japan and they are in fact a very good blades. Anyway I have been looking for corner chisels (not the spring loaded ones) and they are VERY expensive.

My idea is to grind one of the sides to 45 degrees.Cut the handles off as close to the top of the chisel blade itself and if necessary grind straight. then take the two chisel blades cut to 45 deg and weld them together carefully ensuring they stay at a perfect 90 degrees. at that point play with one of the chisel handles until it mates to the corner nicely and weld it.

The only problem here is that the handles are plastic, so while trying to weld the handle to the chisel it may melt. Unless it is heatsinked properly. otherwise will have to buy or make a wooden handle for the chisel.

will this work or is his a ridiculous idea?

thanks folks.

ed
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

I'm no expert in steel, but I would think the welding would ruin the blade's tempor. And if you didn't do it then, you might in all the grinding you'd have to do. Sounds like a lot of work.
    Dave

Comment

I agree with Dave that the temper will be gone following the welding and grinding, but you probably could re-temper the steel if you heated about an inch and a half the blade and the quenched it in some oil or water. There was an article recently in one of the woodworking mags about making your own marking knife using some un-tempered steel and then tempering it after griinding, then honing to put an edge on it. Use a wide flame heat source such as a Turbo-Torch of a rosebud on a Oxy-Actylene rig. About an inch back from the edge start heating and follow the heat line off towards the cutting edge of the blade. Quench the blade and hone it once cool.

Here's a Google search on re-tempering. The WWW is a wonderful source of info, but you got to use it (if you haven't already).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+cutting+tools

Review this link on Blacksmithing;
      http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/bl...chor_chapter20

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you make out.

[ 01-17-2005, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: Bob D. ]

Comment

Yeah i am no expert either stel wise either which is why i am asking around and am doing some research. The chisels i woulud use for this as i said are japanese steel blades and the side bevel is cut at 30 degrees so we are talking about a 15 degree difference on one side. The other potential problem i see is that i dont know if i could get away with just welding it from the outside. May be a bad idea but you dont know until people put things in perspective. I wouldn't think that it would weaken the temper. in fact it would likely make it harder if cooled right away?

I know electronics and woodworking is a hobby. I do have a small acetelyne oxygen torch i got from my neighbor who is a junk man. someone pitched the whole damn thing because the tip was gunked up and it needed a new hose. 40 bucks later i was up and running. I am learning how to weld. not very good at it. I also have a mapp gas/oxygen setup, but i don't know if that would get this project hot enough

lots of research/questions to be done/answered before i am going to even try it!

Comment

Before you try welding, use some JB Weld to prototype and you may find that it is strong enough for your application
          JB Weld Product Info

Comment

hi space,

I don't know what application you want a corner chisel, but what about mortising chisels. Would that meet your needs?

happy woodworking guys

Comment

Space, what size are you thinking of for the corner chisel. 1/2" 3/4" I may have an idea for you.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Why don't you just start with a piece of angle iron? Put the edge you want on it and then temper/harden it the way you want. If you want to build it up take two pieces and weld them together then grind the edge and harden the steel. It seems to me this would be alot easier than trying to work with harden chisels grinding and welding and rehardening and etc.

I'm pretty sure if you go to a steel supply house you can pick up angle material that would be suitable for this (right carbon ratio etc.)
                Rev Ed

Comment

REVED

thats a heck of an Idea. never would have thought of that.

Papadan
                  Well in all honesty i would like a 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". I do have one of the porter cable spring loaded jobs which does nice for squaring up hinge mortises and such, but i am looking to add a few corner chisels to my collection. I am not opposed to spending the money on quality tools (i just bought a set of bahco chisels), which will get a heck of a lot more use than the corner chisels i am looking for. I have built a couple of items in the past where i have had to take the corner out of the legs on 4X4's. I also do not have a drill press, and am planning on making a jig for my router to cut mortises. But there are several projects ahead of that and in the mean time i use a slightly undersized forstner bit to cut the mortise and of course a sharp chisel will clean it up nice, but i am not very good in the corners with the straight chisel.

but i can not justify spending 40 or 50 bucks on one tool that will not see a whole lot of use.

so i am curious dan....what is your idea?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X