Biscuit jointing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biscuit jointing

I am jointing boards of pine together and I put some biscuits to hold them and keep them aligned together. The problem is they are not all the same height. The b-jointer is brand new. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

[ 11-19-2003, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: manhusbandfather ]
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

I had the same problem when I was first learning to use my Freud biscuit joiner. What corrected the issue for me was to clamp my boards before cutting the slots and to slow down my approach to ensure the biscuit joiner was flush on both sides before cutting.
    Think Highly, Feel Deeply , Speak Plainly

Comment

Manhusbandfather,

Please give a little background on your process.

Are you planing your wood? How do you measure your thickness?

Biscut joiners are great; and as allways, success is all in the form. Get comfortable holding your joiner in place and pay attention to the fence in relation to your work peice. Make your cuts less of a "shove" and more of a "stroke".

Comment

Manhusbandfather,

I had a similar experience the first time I used my new biscuit jointer. Unfortunately I thought I was a tool whiz and didn't need to practice on some scraps and use it on some oak for a sideboard. What I found practicing after the fact, was that I wasn't keeping the jointer parallel with the work material. In other words, I wasn't relying on the fence and was actually tipping the tail end of the bisuit jointer up or down resulting in a slight raising of the biscuit slot. After practicing on some scrap, I resumed my "oak" experience with better results.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo888:
          Manhusbandfather,

Biscut joiners are great; and as allways, success is all in the form. Get comfortable holding your joiner in place and pay attention to the fence in relation to your work peice. Make your cuts less of a "shove" and more of a "stroke".

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo888:
            Manhusbandfather,

I dressed one face and one edge on the jointer, planed the other face (all boards done one after the other in the same order) then cleaned the last edge on the jointer. The boards are all exactly the same thickness.

Comment

Working...
            X