X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ridgid Jointer Question

I rounded out my milling equipment with the purchase of the Ridgid jointer. I also have the Ridgid 2424 table saw and the 13" planer.

The fence system on the jointer has me puzzled.

The manual says to align the fence extension table flush with the outfeed table. Out of the box the extension table is between 1/32 to 1/16 proud of the outfeed table. The extension is attached with HUGE bolts requiring a HUGH allen wrench, which I don't own.

So, I continued on, planning to come back to this alignment if I can find an allen wrench that size.

After I mounted the fence, I noticed that the fence has a bit of a tab (1/16") just past the cutter head over the outfeed table. This tab is flush with the outfeed table, with the rest of the fence not touching the table.

It seems if I go back and adjust the fence extension table flush with the outfeed table, the tab on the fence will "catch" instead of be flush with the outfeed table.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long winded explanation. I hope someone knows how I should proceed!!

Thanks,

TJ

You will ultimately want the "tab" on the fence to rest flush with the top of the outfeed bed of the jointer. My extension was setup properly by the factory, and it didn't require adjustment - the reason I mention this is that the extension was flush with the top of the table, and the fence tab still rested properly on the outfeed table. Maybe you only need to adjust your fence stops to achieve this, rather than move the extension height?

[ 02-03-2003, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Stuart H ]

Comment

I received my this Christmas. My was not setup flush at the factory either. I found that when I did get it flush that the alignment changed when I tightened the two allen bolts. I got the setup as close as I could and adjusted the fence stops. I have not had any problems with poor alignment. Although, my blade set was chipped .

Steve

Comment

TJ

I posed the same question about a month ago and the general consensus (including Jake) is that the fence is that way by design. The manual is misleading and probably should be amended to reflect this design which would prevent most new owners from wasting time contemplating if they are not comprehending the instructions correctly or they received defective equipment. If you look back to the thread I started on 2 Jan 03 under “General Woodworking Discussion” you will be able to see the replies I received. Good luck with your new jointer, I’m very satisfied with mine.

Woodslayer

Comment

I JUST ASSEMBLED MINE ON THE 9TH OF FEB. MINR TO NEEDED ADJUSTED SO IT WOULD BE FLUSH PMI. I WAS LUCKY I HAD THE ALLEN WRENCH TO ADJUST IT, WITH THE HELP OF MY BETTER HALF. BE PATIENT, DON'T HIT YOUR BLADES.

Comment

justy put mine together this weekend, and the extension was a little high. loosened the allens, adjusted it to flush, and moved on. everything turned out as supposed to.
            gene

Comment

Working...
            X