X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heel Adjustment

I'm having a problem making a heel adjustment on my TS2424.
    I have loosened the 2 set screws and 3 rear triunion bolts at the rear of the saw as well as the 3 front triunion bolts. According to the manual and video I'm suppose to make an adjustment to the saw blade (somehow) at this point. I need to move the front of my blade slightly to the left as you view it from the rear of the saw. After this saw blade adjustment, I'm told to tighten the 2 set screws and check the alignment and then tighten all triunion bolts.
    How do I make the saw blade adjustment before I tighten the set screws?

I'm sure you've noticed that if you loosen the front trunion that that blade still will not move. After you've loosened the front trunion, crank bevel adjustment wheel as to bevel the blade. Most likely the whole trunion will move over, if not you should have room to move the front trunion over. Make sure there is between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch between the blade and the left edge of the insert. Tighten the center bolt on the front trunion. Now move around to the rear of the machine and follow the instructions for adjusting the heel of the saw. A couple points: Getting the blade parallel to the miter slot is very important, due to the fact that the miter slot is the only thing on the machine that cannot be adjusted. Second when using the set screws to make the adjustment, as you stand at the back of the saw, to adjust the blade right tighten in the right set screw and vise versa for the left. In some cases you may have to back off the the opposite set screw if it is too far in. Tighten all the bolts on the front and rear trunion.

That should do it. Let me know if you have any questions

Jake

Comment

Thanks, I think moving the entire blade to the left (from rear of saw) will help. I was on the phone with technical support a couple of times today and could't solve the problem but I think my saw gura at HD came up with 2 possibilities. One is that the saw is as far to the right (from rear) as possible but for some reason the front of the blade will go a little further to the right than the rear of the blade. So when I tighten the right set screw nothing happens. (note: I've loosen the left screw until its about out of socket and the right is just about all the in and extremely tight. I almost couldn't get it loose with the allen wrench. Nothing happened as I tighted the right screw. All triunion bolts were loose.)
      I'm going to try moving the rear of the blade to the left and see if it moves. If it does, then it must have been as far to the right as it would go since tightening didn't move it. If it moves to the left, I can then move the entire triunion to left and hopefully adjust it with the miter slot using the set screws. What do you think of this idea?
      A second possibility is that the set screws are too short and therefore will not move the blade when tightened.
      If these 3 things don't work, I see if you can think of anything else.
      I'm pretty sure I followed the procedure correctly. tighten tilt, loosen set screws, loosen 3 front and 3 rear triunion bolts, and then adjust with set screws. I loosen the left set screw and tightened the right set screw because I wanted to bring the rear of the blade around to the right as viewed from rear of saw.

Comment

I have a TS24240, which doesn't have the microadjusting rear trunnion. If I'm way off base, feel free to laugh maniacally.

Looking at the on-line manual, page 18 covers this adjustment. Looks like you missed item 11, where you snug up the center bolt on the rear trunnion before using the allen screws to adjust. By having all three bolts loose, when you move the allen screws the trunnion is moving against the table, rather than the cradle moving relative to the saw.

Dave

Comment

You're right. I left that out of my message but I pretty sure I tried that. In fact, I tried about all combinations that I could think of. I also tried tightening the front triunions thinking that I might be moving the entire blade when I adjusted the set screws, but it didn't work. I even tried tapping the triunion over with a mallot. I'll be able to get back on it this evening or tomorrow, but I really believe the rear of the blade is as far to the right as it will go.

Comment

I had the exact same problem and spent about 2 hours this evening working on it. Seemed no matter what I did the set screws never moved the saw a millimeter, and I couldn't get the front to move to the left. I finally just gave up on the set screws, got the front as far to the left as I could (about 1/8") and tapped the back until I got it aligned. Then I tightened all the bolts and it seems to be holding fine.

I like the saw (had a Ryobi BT3000 before) but it has taken me the better part of a day to get everything aligned. The 90 degree set screw for the blade pulls the blade forward when tightened down so I had to leave it a little to the right to finally get it square. And I think I adjusted the spreader and the fence at least 5 times before finally getting them perfect. Oh well now the fun begins!

Comment

Working...
            X