X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router table fence question

Saw the Incra LS17 router fence/positioning mechanism system reviewed in one of the magazines and almost could not stop drooling. Why, you can even cut some pretty fancy dovetails and box joints with it!

Now I like nice toys, but even with no prior experience with routers, but planning on buying one soon, I got thinking. Couldn't any router fence set up that allows precise movement of the fence back and forth and also has a "right angle" attachment be used the same way? I mean you might not get the really easy to use sliding and replaceable scales or the manual with the centering rules that help you choose the right replaceable scale. But if you could do all the math in your head or on paper, couldn't you get similar results with a much less expensive set up? As long as it allowed accurate positioning on the table?

I think the incra fences have the advantage of repeatability of exact measurement. They have 3 different levels of microadjustment on them. Never used one but read lots of reviews and poked around a bit at woodcraft.

Jake

Comment

Incra is very nice. I passed myself. JessEm had the only large solid Phenolic table top, and that's what I wanted. I went with the Rout-R-Lift plate because it was universal, drilled for many many types of routers to be mounted. Also, large heavy plate that doesn't "bounce" when you get a little chatter.

Now, precission is JessEm's first name. Check out their fence. Suprebly constructed for repeatability, and adjustability. Now throw on the new Mite-R-Slide (very soon to be added to my set up) and you have an exacting precission miter, and the fence not need be parallel with the miter slot (which is T-type btw).

Rockler offers the fence and Mite-R-Slide. Pass Rocklers table top, go to Woodcraft and get the table top, lift plate of your choice. I went with the leg set and built my own cabinet to fit the leg set. But it would be easy to design/build your own base cabinet for the set up.

Incra is very nice, but after using the JessEm, to me, there is no other. It's pure quality and precission, and it just doesn't get any better.

Rocklers Add

You should all read this (at least the last paragraph) unbias review as well. 150 for the leg set, 150 for the table top, 150 for the fence, 170 for the lift plate, 200 for the router (Freud FT2000), adding Mite-R-Slide 260. Add some bits, and an easy $1500 is laid out.

To start with, look here.

[ 01-23-2004, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Rocklers looks sweet. I have never seen that fence there. I have heard others praise their lifts though.

For top and stands, I got a nice plan in WW book wher I can make the whole kit and kaboodle for under 40 bucks with Lap jointed 2 x 4's adn add fence & accessories.

My tool doesn't need a pretty stand.. LOL

Jake

Comment

True, but...without something precise to make it with, how precise will it be? Just a little food for thought.
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

The stand???

It doesn't need to be precise at all. That's why I'm using 2 x 4's

Jake

Comment

Jake, agreed on the stand. Anything solid will work. I was refering to manufacturing your own table top and fence, cut out for your router plate, etc. That's where you need to be precise. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X