X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the tablesaw as a jointer

I have justed ordered the AC2008 (Molding Head Cutter)kit for my TS2424. I was wondering if anyone has ever used the 1" jointer blades and what is the best way to set it up?

Steve

Steve---I've had one of those kits forever, and hardly ever use it. It's just one of those things I've never really felt comfortable with.

As to using it for an edge jointer, I'd say don't. Remember, you'd have your wood up on edge---secondly, there would be no rise in the outfeed side, to accomodate for the amount of stock removed.

I think a better method is first, get your fence properly aligned. Then get either the finest tooth blade available, or something Sears sells called a hollowground planner blade, and make your jointer edges that way.
    Dave

Comment

Hi Steve,

I can tell you what my local mill does. The have made a sacrificial fence. On the back half of the fence they have attached a thin sheet of hard hardwood (just less than the width of the blade). The blade cuts out the hardwood.

Then they just run the board along the fence. I have tried it on the 312 and like it so well that I sold my jointer (space is at a premium) this weekend.

Good luck.

Comment

I own a jointer and thus have no need to use my tablesaw as such. However i have read rave reviews about the Forrest Woodworker Blades which make their cuts as smooth as any jointer out there. I have also seen "jointer jigs" which clamp on to the fence and allow you to true warped wood.

ed
        \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Several years ago, a friend showed me a disk he used for planning. It had a slight angle, maybe 5º, and it either had a fine grit surface, or he used adhesive backed sandpaper (I don't remember). The disk was mounted on the TS arbor like a normal blade, then the angle was adjusted the 5º so that the disk contact point was 90º.

Think of it this way: Imaging taking a brass cymbal from a drum set. Now picture this mounted on your table saw, then tilted until the half showing above the table is at 90º.

He then ran his wood through using the fence as a guide. I don't know what these disks are called, but the end result looked impressive. Since then I've only seen one in a cataloge a couple years ago. If I can find out more, I'll get back to you.

Frank

Comment

For many years I ripped on my RAS to straighten warped boards, etc., and built lots of cabinets that way. (And spent a lot of time and did a lot of sanding, etc. ) But now that I have a jointer and table saw, this is a far better way to go.

So one question could be "can you find an alternative to a jointer" - yes. The other question could be "do you need a jointer." Now that I have a Ridgid jointer and table saw, I wouldn't want to live without them.

Comment

Working...
            X