working with thermofoil and formica

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working with thermofoil and formica

Anyone have any experience making chip free table saw rips and circular saw cuts in formica and thermofoil? I'm also interested in any experience handling these two materials with a jig saw. I tried the masking tape alternative with extremely disappointing results.
    IF YOU\'RE WORKING HARD, YOU\'RE DOING IT WRONG

A sharp fine toothed blade is a must. For the table saw 80 TPI does a nice job for me on my RAS. It is also a must to have the fence and saw blade alligned exactly as any skew will enhance chipping. For the jig saw turn off any orbital action. If you are still chipping you can score the cut line with an exacto knife and that should fix the problem but I have not found it necessary when the blade is sharp and alligned

Comment

hello toolguy

I don't know what application you have for the formica, b ut one alternative you have is to buy jig saw blades that are facing down, and that will eliminat a lot of chipping.

Another way is to cut your material upside down, and this will eliminate chipping as well. when i have to end cut counter tops that is the way I have done it for years.

hope i was able to help

happy woodworking guys

Comment

Working...
      X