No announcement yet.

Planer Feeding Problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planer Feeding Problem

Hello folks,

Santa brought me three of Ridgid's tools at Christmas this year. The drill press, jointer and 13" planer.

In using my planer the other night, I found that as I used it more, the boards were not feeding through. I have used it previously, with some small hardwood and had no issues.

I was planing 6 pieces 2x6-4' used cedar, which was previously on my dock at my cottage. It was unfinished and had began to decay. I intending to plane this wood down to perhaps 1 1/4" pr 1" and use it for small projects, like planters etc.

The process I was using was to joint one face on the jointer then plane down the other side to the desired thickness. Finally, I would edge joint one edge.

However, as I got going the boards were not feeding through the planer and I found for most of them I needed to push them through. I was never taking more than 1/64" off at a time. It took quite a few passes to get down to a uniform thickness with the desired finish.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this may have occured? Was it because the boards are softwood? Was the surface of the cedar too smooth? Should I be cleaning the rollers with anything?

Any insight anyone might have would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Could the wood be wet? You said it was decaying. Moisture could cause the board to stick to the bottom of the planer. Try a good dry board and see if it makes any difference. You might try waxing the bottom of the planer as well. FYI, all the ground in dirt that is probably in those boards could damage your blades. Rollers need to be clean as well. I am not sure how to clean them though.

Best regards,

Thanks for your ideas Henry. I think I will allow the boards to dry out for a year and start this exercise again next summer.

Just keep the boards inside for a few months and they'll be fine.

As to the planer, it is necessary to keep a good coat of wax on the tables to help teh wood slide. Also, keep the rollers clean with a rag. Most rubber surfaces clean well with a little rubbing alcohol. Also, when using weathered or rough lumber that has sat outside, use a belt sander to get all the grit off before running through the jointer or planer. 5 mins sanding will save you quite a bit in jointer and planer blade replacement costs.