Dust Collector ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collector ??

I have been reading about the hazards of small dust particles and have gotten very concerned. Does anyone have a suggestion for a dust collector? I have a TS2424, a bandsaw and a jointer that I would like to hook up to a dust collector.

I have been considering a small, single unit that I can move from machine to machine. I rarely switch from machine to machine very quickly. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jamie

I also have a DC I switch from machine to machine. First, be patient. Once you get and assemble the unit, you're just starting, since for some mysterious reason, each machine has a different sized dust port. To make things quick, I used adaptors so each port was 4" and would work with a quick connect fixture attached to my DC hose---like I said, just one of those needed chores.

As to a type of DC, since you'll be switching from machine to machine, you won't have to pay and arm and a leg.

As this is the Rigid forum, you should check them out, since even though HD stopped carrying them, they are still available on line. Don't know much about them though.

I bought the Penn State small, two bag unit, which came with 5 micron bags (better filtration than most name brand dc bags. If you're interested in really cutting down on dust, many people are switching to 1 micron bags. Penn State now has a deal where you can substitute the 1 micron for the stock 5 micron bag---I think about a $30 upgrade, as opposed to paying twice as much to replace an existing bag. I've had great performance from my Penn State and they're well rated. But, I think their biggest selling point is the bag upgrade.
    Dave

Comment

Dave has covered it real well, I must however add one other option to consider. FWIW I remember looking at the Ridgid while HD still carried them, gave it lots of consideration but at the time spent my money on another tool.

Delta (sorry Jake) makes a nice little DC mounted on a small I believe 15 gallon can (kinda like a big vaccuum). This unit goes for around $175.00 as I recall.
      The exhaust filter is actually a reusable bag and I believe it is rated at 3 micron, it hangs off the side and seems to work very efficently. A friend of mine has one and uses it in his garage/shop and is extremely pleased with it.

FYI I have it's big brother which is more fixed as it goes on a 55 gallon drum (I've been told that mine has been discontinued however the place I bought it still has them in stock). As far as a filter I don't use mine, I vented my exhaust outside, where my shop is no one cares if a little sawdust is floating around, I just don't open the window on that side of the building for make-up air.

Jet has a similar model to the small Delta but as I recall it sells for more and moves less air.

Good luck in your search

Dave
      It\'s not the quantity or quality of your tools that matters....<br />It\'s all in the firewood that\'s left over.....

Comment

Hey Jamie,
        After shopping for months I bought the Delta AP400 Shopmaster 1hp dust collector. It's small, light, easy to move around from machine to machine, runs on 120v 1ph power and it works great with my machines. However, the bags it comes with filter only to 30 microns, you'll HAVE TO upgrade to 1 micron bags if you want to protect your lungs. I got my bags from American Fabric Filter in Fl. They're at - http://www.americanfabricfilter.com , call them and get bags made. The other nice thing about this DC is the low current draw. I've only got one 20amp circuit going into my detached garage/shop. I can run the lights, a radio, one power tool and the DC at the same time, but that's it. Untill I can run more power to the space I've got to "count my amps".
        The PennState unit with 1 micron bags looked good to me also, but it draws a little more current than the Delta unit so I had to pass on it.
        Good luck.
        John
        Eastchester, NY
        "Beer is proof that God exists and He wants us to be happy." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Jamie, I currently use 4 Ridgid Wet/Dry Vacs to collect dust and use a Air Filtration unit I purchased from Harbor Frieght for 150 bucks. It's not the best system but until the cash gets saved up to do the wood storage addition, (where the DC unit will be placed) it has to do.
          I have read many many posts on Harbor Frieght's DC unit, and seams to be a tremondous favorite.
          120v 2hp unit moving 1600 cfm of air.
          I too will be ording this unit within the next week and at 119.99 it's a steal (posted by many others on other boards).
          It's a worth a thought anyways.
          The DC unit current item code is 45378-2ksa
          The Air Filtration unit code is 46361-1jjh
          Good luck in any direction you take.
          Sorry everyone, know it's not a place to post about HF, but finances sometimes overrun what we can do, and lungs are one thing that NEEDS looking out after.

Spoke too soon. After receiving several emails from fellow woodworkers, the HF unit seams to be one best used wheeled from machine to macine and not as a centralally located unit. The longivity of this unit is "in high question" by one email responder. I see now the Ridgid Vac's will be in use for quite some time as the suggestion for my shop was a quality min 2hp unit with cyclone and 1 micron bag. Good thing I bought a ton of dust masks when they were on sale for .99 for 50.

[ 01-13-2003, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I don't have a dust-collection system on my tools, but I do run a Ridgid AF2000 air filter along with a downdraft table I built for sanding. They stay running just about all the time, and even when I'm not doing dusty work the filters still accumulate quite a bit of junk on them. The table I built is about 3' by 4' and filters through 2 14" x 30" filters. It's not the fanciest thing, but it works pretty good. The biggest concern for dust particles is really from CCA treated wood, that's got all sorts of chemicals in it for protection from the elements. But even good, clean wood can still cause you problems.
            Marcus Rinaldi<BR>Service Tech<BR>F&W Heating & Cooling

Comment

Jamie,

I have the Jet air cleaner and also decided to add a dust collector. I bought the small Delta unit at Lowes that John54 mentioned above. The unit could not handle the volume of shavings from the jointer (Ridgid 6") or planer (Delta 12 1/2"). Lowes allowed be to bring it back the same day.

I looked at the Delta and Jet cyclone units that attach to garbage cans or barrels, but couldn't find enough info on them to make me feel comfortable buying them.

I finally decided on the new Jet canister unit. It filters to 2 microns, has disposable plastic bags on the bottom and no bag on the top. The only problem I have had is getting it delivered. I ordered it a few weeks ago and found out Monday that it is back-ordered and probably won't be shipped for another 10 days. Here is Jet's site if anyone wants to see the unit's specs:

http://www.jettools.com/JETWood/Prod...DC-1100CK.html

Bob R

Comment

Jamie,

Check out this link. It may help.

http://www.airhand.com/design.html

Rob

Comment

Jamie,

Check out this link. It may help.

http://www.airhand.com/design.html

Rob

Comment

Dust removal in the shop has become a hot topic on many forums as of late. Studies have shown that the dust we generate in our WW shops can (not will) cause some health problems. Anything you do to lower the amount of airborne dust will help.

I run an overhead AFU (Jet AFS-1000) and a Jet DC-1100-C canister D/C unit with a seperator. The only thing that now generates a ton of dust is sanding. A dust mask helps reduce the amount of dust that can get into my lungs.

A couple of years ago I would have said that dust removal was a nice thing to have, but was an item that could wait. Today I think it should be bought FIRST. Yeah, ya won't get much use out of one when you don't have a TS, jointer, planer et al, but when you do get these items you'll be in business!
                    Support Our Troops!
                    www.mnpatriotguard.org
                    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

I recently replaced my old table saw with a Rigid 10" contractor saw. I love my new saw except for the dust collection system which you purchase extra. I am in the process of making my own by boxing in the under carriage of the stand. One thought to consider is the access to the inside in the event that a clog builds up and blocks the opening. I hope to make this out of plexiglass. hopefully when sealed properly it will take the majority of airborne dust particles on their way to my rigid shop vac which i use in conjunction with a cyclone barrel lid. hope this helps as dust collection is very important for health reasons.

Comment

Thanks for all of the good advice. I have looked at a lot of websites and I am going to look at a few models today. The advice on amperage, CFM and particle size was particularly helpful. The average price of DC with 1 micron bag is going to be ~$250.

I guess that I will work outside wearing a dust mask as much as possible until I get something worked out.

Thanks again,
                        Jamie

Comment

I am going to get the big delta dust collector (1150 cfm I think or there about) and the Jet Air Filtration unit this week.

Anyone have any pictures of how they set up their Ridgid Saw for dust collection? Where is the best place to put the collar on them? Does Ridgid sell an adapter for the 3612 to hook on a 6" or 4" hose?

Eric

Comment

Here's a link to Daveferg's post on enclosing the saw look for a link I dropped in there.

Enclosing Contractor's Table Saw for Dust Collection

Comment

Thanks for the link. I have partially closed off the rear of my saw in a very temporary but safe fashion.

I checked Ridgid's website today and low and behold they updated it. [img]smile.gif[/img] Their dust hood for the TS2424 fits the 3612 according to the website now so I ordered it. [img]smile.gif[/img] So, I should be moving up in the world. Now if I could just get my miter saw enclosed I would be cooking with gas. I am going to have to do something in a temp fashion for that thing besides just have a 4 house behind it.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X