Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS1290

Hey,
    Has anyone actually used and tested the new Rigid MS1290 SCMS??? If so, please give me your resluts. I am looking for actual, real world experiences, not just magazine rewiews. How precise is the saw? How tough? Any problems? Any help would be appreciated. I am leaning toward the Makita 10" slider right now, but have read a lot of reviews that say it has adjustment problems out of the box and some are very difficult to fix. Any opinions about the Makita? I am looking for a saw that will be precise and tough as well, but more for trim than decking and framing.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron,
    Welcome to the forum... I sent you e-mail...
    Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Thank you for your information Big, I got your e-mail. I am still hoping someone out there has put the Rigid through it's paces, if so please post.

Aaron

Comment

It's way overdue for an appearance in Dallas...haven't seen one yet in any store here. I also haven't heard of anyone that has bought one. Something happened after they teased it that either halted or severly delayed manufacture & shipment....
        Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Sorry, haven't tested the Ridgid. I looked at it and the Makita 10". The Ridgid is big. The HD near me has several, but I just couldn't fit it in my shop. It looks very nice and solid. The miter/slide lock on the front of the saw is a lever that is different from everyone else, but looks ok.

I got the Makita from toolking, online. I got the refirb model, but the first one had some problems, swapped it out and this one is perfect! I got it for $379 +$6 handling, though shipping is free, when they price matched HF.

Comment

I got the same saw from HF for $385 delivered...looked and cuts like new and only had one scratch on the table...I love it...has the capacity of a 12" slider....
            Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

I ended up with the Makita LS1013R too... I couldn't wait any longer for a Ridgid SCMS to show up at my Home Depot which is 100 miles away... I got mine from www.toolking.com for $376.00 delivered... It has worked perfect with a minor fence adjustment to the blade...

Jake,
              Is there a problem that the Nebraska stores aren’t getting the saw??? Really is anyone getting the saw to speak of... I am hearing nothing on any of the woodworking websites or forums...
              Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

They have them at the HD closest to me. I haven't really looked that closely at it but I can tell you one thing, its BIG!
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have had good experience with the Dewalt slide except that the motor fried after two years. No lifetime warranty either. My biggest gripe with it is that degree finder is located in an awkward spot on the neck of the saw, and not easy to see for me at least. My suggestion is wait for Ridgid 1290 to hit your local store. I think it is still worth the wait.

Comment

I have not seen any ridgid 1290 scms in ohio.
                    Andy B.

Comment

Well, here is a little story about the Makita LS1013... I purchased one a few days ago, and was I dissapointed, and I only paid $365 for mine. Maybe I am just picky, but it had three flaws right out of the box. Two of them other reviewers has spoken of, but I thought I might get lucky and avoid them. This was not the case. Defects were 1)Angle detents were off when the 90 degree fence was set true, 2)Rubber bumpers for slide arm were weak at best causing the saw to bang on every slide, 3)The deal killer was that the slide arm was sticky when beginning the push stroke with the blade head in the down position. The first two were tweakable, but I was not about to live with sticky slides, so back it went. I am still asking "where is the quality control these days?"

I went to HD here in Portland, OR and they let me test the saw and cut a few boards and the thing is sweet. Much smoother than Makita, and pretty accurate (I checked the 90 $ 45 degree cuts I made with a tri square at the store). The JLC review I read said it was a good saw except for the weight. I agree. The JLC review said the only weak point was the depth stop, but that is not an issue for me. It is a heavy beast, but it is the one I am going to get and am looking for the lowest price now.

I will give a more detailed feedback after I have acquired one and used it for a while. Thanks for all the feedback.

Aaron

Comment

Hi everyone. New to this forum and looking forward to getting to know more about Ridgid tools. Aaron, just picked up the new ms1290 scms. It was easy to put together and setup. Have not done any test cuts yet with it but maybe this weekend I will. As soon as I start using it,I will let you know. What I have seen and read so far about the saw, it is going to be a awesome saw at a fair price. The warranty that comes with the ridgid tools was a big factor in the purchase. I am also new to woodworking and setting up a small wood shop in my basrment. I have projects from knee wall drawers to a corner china cabinet already waiting for me to get started. Look forward to do some chating with everyone.

Russ [img]smile.gif[/img]
                        Remember to measure twice and cut once!!

Comment

Welcome to the forum Russell, [img]smile.gif[/img]
                          I am interested to here about how the new SCMS performs too... I will look forward to you comments...

Comment

Hey folks...

I purchased a MS1290. The first one has slop in the pivot bushing so I took it back to Home Depot and got another one. The second one seems tight, but their display model also had some play. I wonder if Rigid finds this level of machining acceptable?

I tried making some cuts with the first one and everything seemed good. I have not yet made any real tests with the second one yet, but will post my results when I take a in depth test of the new saw. It still looks like the best of the bunch, but I think a few minor improvements would make a good saw an outstanding say.

Review to come later...

aaron

Comment

Make sure you check the horizontal slide. My 1290 came down 1/8" from start of the pull to the end of pull. It was also wobbly from side to side. I returned it for the DW708 and am completely sattisfied. I also checked the floor model of the 1290 and it had both of the same problems as mine had. I spoke with ridgid costomer service and they told me not many people check there saw so it goes un noticed.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X