Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post - TS3650 - I want it but not sure it's right for me

Hi Everyone:

I see the TS3650 @ home depot in Canada and think it is a well built machine. I am new to woodworking, but when I compare it to anything else that's around the same price or less, the others just don't seem to compare as far as build quality.

My problem, however, is also the substantial build quality. at 290 lbs. (the saw that is), and living in an apartment, I am not sure that it is the best for me. I want something that is exactly like the TS3650, except lighter and easier to move and around the same price ($599 Cdn @ home depot). I doubt that anything is made like that, but I thought I would ask if anyone has any suggestions.

A couple of options here - I could put it on my balcony, but living in Ontario, Canada, I'm not sure how the cold would affect it. Being the weight that it is, I cannot simply manoever it back inside during the winter like i could with a portable saw. Is the cold a problem for this machine?

I guess the reason I'm asking all this is that it is $599 Canadian right now at Homedepot and I want it, but think that all my friends and family would think I'm berserk for putting it in an apartment, especially considering the size and weight of it (although the apartment and balcony are not bad sized either). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One other question - how is the noise on this saw compared to, say, the bosch 4000-9? Noise reduction in my apartment is pretty good, but something that is too noisy will cause my neighbours to be upset.

Thanks for any advice,

Paul

I think only you can decide whether or not you can make it work, but it does sound like a stretch for that situation. The induction motors found on saws like the 3650 are inherently quieter than those found on a portable saw like the Bosch, but the portables do seem better suited for the apartment. They are not built like the 3650 though. Contractor saws like the 3650 are cast iron and steel with an outboard motor. The Bosch and saws like that are plastic and aluminum. They're very capable though...

Delta makes a saw called the TS350 that's smaller than the 3650 and has cast iron wings and an internal induction motor. It's a bit lighter and is less expensive too.

Comment

Thanks for the idea! The delta saw seems like a good alternative, but i think once i get over 125 lbs, it doesn't matter much at that time (of course to a certain extent). The delta is 202 lbs., which if i was going to go for that, I would rather go for the ridgid and the weight wouldn't be the deciding factor. I would still need 2 people to help move it. is the herc-u-lift helpful in this case (ie moving this saw around)?

I guess the thing that gets me as well is the bosch 4000-9 saw is $700 at home depot in canada. I have looked at it and do think that it seems well made, but as you have pointed out, not in the same class. It is $100 more though. I guess that is what you pay for portability.

Paul

Comment

Here is my 2 cents:

I live in NC and have a good size 1 car garage. Had this saw NOT have the lift system, I would not be able to use this saw. It is too heavy for one person to move and with the case iron top, it would most certainly rust very quickly in the external conditions.

Living in an apartment, I wouldn't buy a saw like the 3650 until I had a house. I would purchase a solid portable/bench top saw. That is just me though.

Dave

Comment

I unfortunately think you're right. I think the bosch is the best of the bunch (from what I've seen and heard) so that might be the way I'll have to go. I didn't even think about the rust - that's why these forums are so helpful - other people think of the obvious things that someone else blinded by desire to own something doesn't see.

thanks guys for your advice. i appreciate it. btw, i did see the taunton review of the bosch and it came in at 87db, which isn't that bad. maybe it won't be a bad (albeit expensive) purchase afterall.

Comment

"87db, which isn't that bad. "

Well, it might be badder than you think, as 85dB is when OSHA requires hearing protection if I remember corectly. Yes, I know you are not going to be running the saw for hours at a time, but short burst high dB noise can affect your hearing too, and its not just a short term, temporary loss you will receive.

And I think your neighbors will notice 87dB as well. If you had some arrangement or knew they might not be bothered by the noise on weekends or other times at certain hours, you might be able to make it work.

My nearest neighbor's window is >150ft away from my shop, and I try not to run any of the noiser equipment after 9PM any night or before 9AM on weekends, not because I was asked to, but out of respect for their needs (I'm not implying that you would not be, don't get me wrong).

Comment

good point about the noise, but when you consider what the other table saws were rating at (93, 94, and 95 db), this isn't "that bad". I believe you are right - they will notice the sound. I do believe that they will notice 87db less than my skil circular saw, although I don't have a rating on the CS.

I'm not someone building a deck and using the TS or CS for hours at a time, as you stated. No one has complained about the CS, and as long as I use it at the right time of day, and on my balcony (both of which i currently do - like you out of respect for my neighbours), anything less noisy will be even better.

As someone else pointed out to me, power tools make noise, and some make a lot of noise. i wish i could find a way around that, but i can't. if i can decrease the amount of noise that "my" power tools are making, that is what i want to do, and that is why i said that the bosch ts isn't bad. as far as portable or bench ts's go, that is the lowest rating i have seen. if you have something else to recommend, i would be very appreciative.

the point about hearing loss is well taken.

pab

Comment

If you really want to impress your neighbors, add a Dewalt 735 planer to the mix!

Comment

I suggest taking a look at the Ridgid TS2400 portable TS. I've had mine for several months and built some nice furniture (well nice for me) things with it. It is lighter than the 3650 and folds up. I don't know what the noise level is (dB), but I don't think of it as being a loud TS, although I always wear ear protection. With a good quality blade it makes nice cuts and its rips are highly accurate thanks to a good fence. Cross cuts are good as well, but improvement should be possible with an after market miter gauge (Incra 100SE for example).

The price isn't that much different than the TS3650 (about $50 less), at least here in the NW US.

Its ability to fold and be easily wheeled about would work nice for an apartment.
                  Dick

Comment

Working...
                  X