X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link Belt for my TS2424

I am thinking of getting a new belt for my table saw, as the vibration has increased tremendously as of late. The pulleys are lined up as perfectly as I can get them, and the tension seams right.
    So if I was suggesting a new belt as a christmas gift, which kind should I get? IS there a difference between the link belts at lets say grizzly, woodcraft, or lee valley? Or are they all pretty much the same?
    Thanks - Travis

Reading through some other threads I see notes from Jake that the Belt on my TS2424 cannot be replaced because it is V shapped? IS this true? He also said that it will vibrate in the cold because the belt hasn't warmed up yet - I can see this as likely much of my problem. Anyone else deal with this?
    Thanks -
    Travs

Comment

A link belt will not work on your 2424 with the factory pulleys. You would have to change out your pulleys in order to use link belts but I see no advanage in doing that. The serpentine belt that came with your saw are is as good as if not better than link belts. I'd recheck your motor mounting to be sure nothing as come loose.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks Badgerdave - I will recheck everything again...
        Travis

Comment

Is the belt for your saw a single V belt like the fan belts form the good old days or is it a multi-V flat belt like the new car flat serpentine belts? If it is the single V you should be able to replace it with a link belt. If it is a mult - V you can replace the belt with a new Multi-V they tend to stiffen as they age and a new one will be more flexable which will result in less vibration

Comment

It's the multi-v belt type.
            When checking it I noticed several things - one is that while making sure the pullies are lined up, i notice the motor has slipped and is no longer level...in addition, the belt had slipped one V-tooth thingy off the pully... Removing the belt and putting it on again helped a little with vibration - but I imagine leveling the motor will help alot more correct?
            Thanks - Travis

Comment

OK - I leveled the motor. No difference. The saw runs smoother now...but still vibrates like crazy when turned off. The motor bounces....
              Anything else I should check?
              Thanks - Travis

Comment

Travis, is you shop heated? Noticed you are getting cold down there too (35 - 50). If the shop is unheated the belt looses a lot of it's flex when cold and will cause more vibration than when it is warm (70's). A new belt may also help and you should be able to match it at an automotive store

Comment

If you do decide to replace the belt, a Bando Rib-Ace Model 417-J or equal is what you should look for.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks guys...this is what I was thinking about last night...the motor bouncing means that the belt is loose...or out of shape. Since the shop is unheated and the saw is several years old...it's likely stretched etc.
                    Thanks for the help!
                    Travis

Comment

The motor bouncing on shut-down is a pretty sure sign of the belt being old and stiff. While you're at it, you might make a quick check of the arbor shaft----pull it back and forth and see if any signs of bearings going----also make sure the motor hasn't accumulated any large amounts of sawdust.
                      Dave

Comment

In-Line Industries sells a "performance package" for contractor table saws. It consists of machined steel pulleys and a multilink belt. You can read about it here. In-Line also makes other products to enhance the performance of contractor saws.
                        There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

Working...
                        X