X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Shop

I am building a new woodshop. What would you folks recommend as the best way to store hand tools, clamps, etc.? Should I build cabinets, use pegboard on the walls and hang everything there, or even buy like a SNAP ON TOOLS roller mechanics cabinet with drawers in it?...Just trying to figure out what will be the best way to store all these items. Thanks...Murray
    Goldenwing

Probably the best answer is all of the above in one form or another. I keep the majority of my handtools in a rolling tool chest but the tools that I seem to use on almost a daily basis are on a pegboard. Tools like sanders, grinders, jigsaw, drills etc. are kept in either a cabinet or on shelves.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I think the answer is what works for you. For example, I find it nice to have screwdrivers organized on pegboard holder----same for hammers, saws, etc.----it's really a mess, rummaging around in a drawer for this kind of tool. But, my socket sets, specialty wrenches, etc., work very nicely in a mechanics toolbox (with drawers, etc.)

Drawers, IMO, are much nicer for hand power tools, such as drills, sanders, etc. I used to store them, in their boxes, on shelves, but you would have to take out two-three tools to get to the one you wanted, and then get it out of it's box---in a drawer---it's quickly available.

Shelves, for benchtop tools are an obvious choice as well.

Look through some ww'ing mags' and you're likely to find a lot of ideas.
      Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave...I guess thats probably what I thought. I did see a in between stud cabinet plan in one of the magazines....thinking I will put in one or two of those for nails, screws, glues, etc....also, would anyone recommend the drill press from ridgid. I have a ridgid sander, scroll saw, table saw, and miter saw, so I think I am going to stick with the ridgid drill press too. Thanks again Dave, I appreciate your input, Murray
        Goldenwing

Comment

Just FYI----as to a drill press---from reviews I've read, drill presses don't have to be expensive to be good. There have been several reviews were less expensive brands like Griz' or HF get as good a review as Delta or Jet (regarding floor standing models). The Ridgid looks like a good unit, but I'd sure shop around for an old grey model or get it on sale.
          Dave

Comment

Goldenwing,

Good question and I see lots of answers in response. For my two cents worth, I also plan on using a number of ways to store or mount tools and related items. (I'm in the process of finalizing plans for a 12 x 16 ft. outbuilding.) First, I'm pretty much an "order freak" and I plan on making most of my own wall mounted tool boards. Personally, I don't like pegboard, spiders love the stuff and I think those little metal hangers are ugly (sorry, artist side of me I guess ) Instead, I'll use the mounting boards and my own woodcrafted tools holders for quick access tools like screwdrivers, clamps, hammers, mallets, chisels, etc. With benchtop tools like my belt/disc sander, scrollsaw, and bandsaw I'll mount them on boards with a couple of "stations" where they can be moved for best convenience during a project. Bigger tools, like my RAS and floor drill press will have a permanent location.

Recently I took advantage of a sale at a local store and bought several Sterilite drawer units. These are 4-drawer units that are 26"w x 18"d x 35"h and will just fit under the planned bench. These are plastic, totally enclosed sides and back and the drawers are fairly sturdy, roller mounted, and 6-3/4 deep. They hold a variety of other tools and items that are used on a more selectable basis, including some of the hand power tools. These were only $40 each on sale, which are a fraction of those steel flat-drawer units; and I don't have to worry about rust.

At 12 x 16, the shop is going to be fairly small, but it beats a damp basement with a 5 1/2 ft. ceiling! In good weather I can also pull some tools out for a little more elbow room.

I think Dave mentioned a drill press. I have the older (gray) Ridgid 1550, but before I bought that, I noticed some really nice priced floor units at the local farm and tractor stores. A lot of those are British imports, but the prices were in the $150 to $200 range for 15 and 16-inch floor units.

Just some personal thoughts,

CWS

Comment

I am always looking to save space in my shop since I spend like a nut. I am looking into buying a few balancers to fasten to the ceiling joists and have my most needed hand tools just above my workbench.
              The only thing with starting to use these is that you will notice how much space you now have just above your head and will quickly start filling the air with hanging tools.

check it out!
              http://www.tenaquip.com/site/bgt04/0833.pdf
              Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

I have an old chest of drawers in my shop that I keep all my hand tools in.

After doing the kitchen over, I took the old upper cabinets and hung them on the wall. Store sanding supplys in one. Glue, bisquets, and the such in an other. I have seperate ones for electrical and plumbing. I had a bank of drawers from the kitchen and now store screws and nails in it.

My job was getting new crash carts, so I took the old ones of thier hands for no cost. It holds several power tools and nail guns quite nicely.

Jim

Comment

As suggested above, use all the methods you describe. (except the snap on tool chest.) For the price of the tool chest, you could build yourself the Taj Mahal of woodworking storage containers. Do spend time getting to know kitchen installers as they may be able to get you kitchen cabinets to use as either wall hanging units, or base cabinets. I recently scored with base cabinets, which allowed me to set up my miter saw permanently as well as store all my portable power tools. Also check with used business furniture dealers. They often times buy old furniture from offices that they cannot resell. They may have the overhead storage cabinets to sell for little to no money for you. Instead of buying shelving, do the same thing.

Always scrounge around for whatever you can find and be patient. For example, I am making a vacuum press and found a place that is willing to give me old propane tanks to use a vacuum chambers for free. All I need to do is get the old valves out. (still trying on my first one )

Also, log onto as many woodworking websites as you can find. There are places in almost all where deals or items for sale are posted. These places have helped me spend thousands of my dollars

Comment

Evenin' gold,

I agree with mike, I do a lot of rehabing of homes, and sometimes i get a small kitchen with box type cabinets, with face frames, and in really good shape. I am also setting up my workshop (finally), and I have been fortunate enough to pick 6 wall cabinets, as well as 10 base cabinets, mostly oak, and they cost me nothing.

Mike I'm from cleveland and if you need a few more as soon as I Come across more you got 'em ifn ya wants em. I don't know if there is any one else patient enough to wait in the cleveland area but you can message me and i will keep you in mind. good luck gold

Comment

Working...
                    X