First time buyer of a router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time buyer of a router

I need to buy a router. I won't use it everyday or all day but I don't want a piece of ____ either. I can still buy the ryobi table and router for $87. Do you guys think that will be enouggh to suit my needs? thanks

http://www.ryobitools.com/product/pr...at=2&toolcat=5

I don't know what your needs are now or what they may be in the future. I bought a 1/4" collet Craftsman fixed base several years ago and it was fine for remodling projects. Just bought the Porter 690 Series combo kit at HD for $157.00 and expect it will serve any WW needs I may have for the next several years. Buy one that's more than you need today, so that it will grow with you tomorrow. IMHO

Comment

I agree idle hands. Where did you get that router, I may be interested in picking up that package.

Jake

Comment

Jake - local HD's here have the 693 kits at $129 on closeout. Assume it's because the 893's out there????
        Funny thing tho - I bought one from same HD last year this time at $109. It was a price match-discount-and I suspect screw up on their end. I was very happy
        Nice unit - IMO a bit on light side for a table mount tho. That then makes excuse for bigger one of course
        Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

I think the DeWalt 621 is the best choice for one router. I like using this tool. www.patwarner.com and www.toolsofthetrade.net have some good advise. www.toolking.com has some recon. 621's for $149.

[ 12-27-2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Benedetto ]

Comment

Woodworkerjake, I got mine at Home Depot during the 20% off sale, But if Cranky is talking about the same thing (motor, fixed base, plunge base and case) then my deals not so good. The new 893 is upgraded to 2 1/2 HP but I decided in this case the earlier version would be fine for my use. If I were using it professionally I'd go bigger.

BTW, I posted this somewhere else but don't recall which thread. The tool corral mgr at my local HD believes they will run the 20% off sale again within the next couple of weeks. (Hope so I need a few MORE TOOLS) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

i've got a couple of ryobi routers, man save your pennies and get a bosch dewalt pc frued hitachi .... well you get my drift. bill

Comment

Not professional, but I like to hold my standards same as theirs. I prefer to buy quality and keep a tool for a long time. Maybe someday I'll be handing tools to my kids. Wait, I don't have any kids.

DOUGH!!!

Jake

Comment

Yup, I agree with you. The PC is professional grade according to the reviews, I meant if I was running hardwoods with big bites for hours at a time.

LOL, my standards are professional, it's my skills that are the problem. [img]redface.gif[/img]

Comment

Just to add to the confusion, have you thought about the Milwaukee Body Grip? I use mine in both table and freehand. It works almost as well in the table as my PC 690 on a plunge base but is a dream to use out of the table.

Comment

I have the pc 890, it is great. Powerful, quiet(for a router) and easy to use. I've used the milwaukee, there is nothing wrong with it, it is a pleasure to use and that grip is a little strange at first, but is really nice after a few minutes.
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by idle hands:
                        Woodworkerjake, I got mine at Home Depot during the 20% off sale, But if Cranky is talking about the same thing (motor, fixed base, plunge base and case) then my deals not so good. The new 893 is upgraded to 2 1/2 HP but I decided in this case the earlier version would be fine for my use. If I were using it professionally I'd go bigger.

BTW, I posted this somewhere else but don't recall which thread. The tool corral mgr at my local HD believes they will run the 20% off sale again within the next couple of weeks. (Hope so I need a few MORE TOOLS) [img]smile.gif[/img]
                        Yeah - we talking same kit but friend of my sons said they had zero discount or sale on them at his local HD few days back. This is part of HD that puzzles me always - they are all networked together. Why such crazy spreads in pricing and method(s) of discounts, etc? Not just them - we actually see it in Target(s) too. 3 miles apart. Now go figure and let me know what/how this works......
                        Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

I just purchased the PC 693VSPK router kit at HD during the 20% off sale, however, now I am having second thoughts. I have been looking at the Bosch 1617EVSPK or the Dewalt DW618PK Kits. My tendancies are to the Bosch. Any thoughts on the PC vs the others? Did I make a mistake? Money is not the issue here, it just happened to be on sale at the time. Please help me decide....thanx...
                          If it ain\'t broke, tell the wife it is so that you can get more TOOLS!!

Comment

I helped a friend build a timber-framed storage building for free.

see http://www.wallmaxx.com/

Then CARPENTRY
                            Then TIMBER

He wouldn’t accept my rate of $0 per hour so he bought me a DW621 Plunge Router.
                            I’m new to fine woodworking so this was a fancy and most interesting “toy” as my wife calls all my tools. I LOVE IT!!

Needless to say, by that evening all the edges in my shop either had chamfers or round overs on them. (Just a safety note: Do Not put a 3/4” round over along the edges of your sawhorses. It makes them harder to walk on if you use them as 3 1/2” wide scaffolds).

I am looking forward to making a router table. Any pointers would be appreciated. I already made a “quickie” router “plate”. I took a 24” by 36” piece of cabinet grade oak plywood and mounted my router to it. Then I would clamp the plywood base with the router suspended under it, between two sawhorses. Then, I would clamp a fence to that. It worked ok for a newbie, but I really need a more stable, accurate and easier to set up platform.

Comment

I will definitely go for the Porter-Cable Kit mentioned above for $159.

Comment

Working...
                              X