X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sears WW Tools.

I just came back from the local Sears,and stopped to see the table saws.Wow...some of them look just like the Ridgids,I strolled thru and noticed some big names like Dewalt and Jet.
    Who makes there WW tools,saws drill presses,
    lathes,routers and so on. Does any1 know and what is the Quality here?

I stopped by my local Sears Yesterday too.
    I was picking up some sandpaper for my DeWalt Palm sander. I just happen to stroll by the tablesaws. It was interesting to see the similarities. A couple of the tablesaws had router tables attached to them replacing one of the wings. Gave me a few ideas for when I retrofit my 2424 rails. I have to say one thing though. Sears does take pride in their displays.

Comment

The Sears TS's, are made in China, from outward designs that make them remarkably similar to those of Ridgid. As you are aware, Ridge Tools hasn't made Craftsman brand TS's since their break with Sears around 1998.

However, on closer examination, and at least in Sears, you can see everything laid out and get to examine the goods, the "quality" is not that of Ridgid. How they perform I can't tell. So far, on other busier forums, no one has even mentioned them when the selection of a TS comes up.

David

Comment

It's been said that Ryobi makes the Sears TS's.
        Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Yep, you're right there, in that Ryobi makes one of the TS's that look's like the BT3000. But the bulk of the latest range, another 3-4 are based on the Past Ridgid designs.

Taking a look at the manufacturing labeling plates underneath, why not?, what else is there to do in Sears? states China as the country of manufacture, and of course Craftsman as the brand.

Nevertheless, I still am not impressed with the overall "quality". Ridgid just has that something more. Not just feature vs feature, which we can all list out, but metalwork, fit, fabrication, paintwork, packaging and subtle design elements. Just compared my new DP1550 with Delta 75-960. Same thing, there's more "quality" in the Ridgid product, features aside, IMHO. And the DP1550 runs so smooo..th & quiet. Try putting that in a sales brochure, it a'int easy!!

David

[ 03-02-2003, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Cutbuff ]

Comment

I would be willing to guess that either Sears and Emerson/Ridgid, still hold duel patents on some of those clone features or Sears is just copying Ridgids old features.

In any event, I simply wouldn't buy anything from Sears tools, that had a cord attached. When they ended their relationship with Emerson----their tool quality went down hill.
            Dave

Comment

I agree Dave...

Cutbuff...I meant the other saws are made by Ryobi to Craftsman (read Emerson's) old specs, hence the similarity. Ryobi is made in China as well....
              Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Ryobi makes some of their routers. I have a 2 HP, fixed base, 1/4" & 1/2" router that is Ryobi. But I plan to lose that one.

I just purchased a Porter-Cable 2 HP, variable speed, plunge router with through-the-base height adjustment at the Atlanta woodworking show for my regular use router. As soon as I build my custom router table I plan to purchase the Porter-Cable 3&1/4 horse, 5-speed, fixed base for permenant mount on the table. More power!

Comment

i have an old craftsman 12 v drill driver that i bought when i believe it was being made by dewalt. which of course is B&D but it appeared to be modeled after the dewalt. it has served me well for 6 years before not wanting to play anymore. the year after i bought mine ryobi started making them and well you know what that means. sears craftsman hand tools are a quality product but they need to reevaluate their power tool line if they want to be taken seriously.
                  \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
                  X