X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumber prices

I stopped by my “local” (75 minutes one way) lumber yard today to stock up and was wondering if these prices are in line with what the rest of you are paying for 4/4 rough sawn lumber.

Red Oak $3.20
    African Mahogany $4.50
    Soft Maple $3.10
    Q.S. White Oak $4.85
    Walnut $5.30
    Cherry $6.60

Thanks for your input.

Woodslayer

That is a little over what I paid the last time I purchased lumber in Nashville, Tn. I haven't bought anything since around October, but I recall Walnut prices were around the 4.30-4.70 for surfaced on both sides and edged on one. Cherry was about 50 cents more per board foot. White oak was 2.90 (flat sawn). Popular was 1.90. I've only bought from this place a couple of times, but I had been paying significant less for really rough stuff with a lot of defects.

Comment

4/4 Red Oak
      $2.80 $1.95 $1.50 $.90

4/4 White Oak
      $1.90 $1.45 $1.15 $.85

4/4 Quarter Sawn White Oak
      $3.75 $2.75 $2.00 $1.25
      5/4 Quarter Sawn White Oak
      $4.00 $3.00 $2.25

4/4 Cherry - { 5/4 Select $4.75 per/bd. ft. }
      $4.75 $3.00 $2.00 $1.00

4/4 Hard Maple
      $3.00 $2.25 $1.50 $1.00

4/4 Walnut
      $3.85 $3.00 $2.00 $1.25

4/4 Brown Ash
      $1.90 $1.45 $1.15 $.85

4/4 Red Elm
      $1.90 $1.45 $1.15 $.85

4/4 Grey Elm
      $1.75 $1.35 $1.05 $.80

4/4 Hickory
      $2.50 $2.00 $1.50 $1.00

4/4 Hackberry
      $1.90 $1.45 $1.25 $.80

4/4 Soft Maple
      $1.90 $1.45 $1.25 $.85

4/4 Basswood
      $1.80 $1.45 $1.05 $.80

4/4 White Pine
      $2.00 $1.50 $1.25 $1.00

4/4 Butternut
      $1.90 $1.45 $1.15 $.80

4/4 White Birch
      $1.90 $1.45 $1.15 $1.00

Aromatic Red Cedar , All Knotty ..........................$1.90
      Basswood & Butternut Carving Wood....................$2.50
      Pine & Oak Timbers & Cants.....$750. ( p/thousand bd. ft. )
      Support Our Troops!
      www.mnpatriotguard.org
      www.patriotguard.org

Comment

The prices for rough sawn here in Western NY can vary alot depending on the type of dealer you go to. A guy with a mill and a couple of barns full of wood will sell oak and maple for ~ $1.65 to $2.30 b/f depending on board length. Walnut and Cherry are $3.00-$4.50. The beautiful stores like Pittsford Lumber, Woodcraft, and Bristol Valley Hardwoods are retailers and will sell rough sawn for alot more.

You might also find some deals from private individuals who have a small stash for sale. We found an ad in the "Building Materials" section of our paper from a guy who about 300 boards for sale for $1.30 to $2.00 b/d for oask, ash, cherry, maple, walnut, chestnut, and maple. Turns out he hires a guy to drop and slice the trees on his summer property, air dries it, and sells it from his garage.

Comment

Originally posted by K.M. Delano:
          4/4 Red Oak
          $2.80 $1.95 $1.50 $.90

4/4 White Oak
          $1.90 $1.45 $1.15 $.85

4/4 Quarter Sawn White Oak
          $3.75 $2.75 $2.00 $1.25
          5/4 Quarter Sawn White Oak
          $4.00 $3.00 $2.25

4/4 Cherry - { 5/4 Select $4.75 per/bd. ft. }
          $4.75 $3.00 $2.00 $1.00

4/4 Hard Maple
          $3.00 $2.25 $1.50 $1.00

4/4 Walnut
          $3.85 $3.00 $2.00 $1.25

4/4 Brown Ash
          $1.90 $1.45 $1.15 $.85

4/4 Red Elm
          $1.90 $1.45 $1.15 $.85

4/4 Grey Elm
          $1.75 $1.35 $1.05 $.80

4/4 Hickory
          $2.50 $2.00 $1.50 $1.00

4/4 Hackberry
          $1.90 $1.45 $1.25 $.80

4/4 Soft Maple
          $1.90 $1.45 $1.25 $.85

4/4 Basswood
          $1.80 $1.45 $1.05 $.80

4/4 White Pine
          $2.00 $1.50 $1.25 $1.00

4/4 Butternut
          $1.90 $1.45 $1.15 $.80

4/4 White Birch
          $1.90 $1.45 $1.15 $1.00

Aromatic Red Cedar , All Knotty ..........................$1.90
          Basswood & Butternut Carving Wood....................$2.50
          Pine & Oak Timbers & Cants.....$750. ( p/thousand bd. ft. )
          K.M. - these pretty decent prices. May I inquire as to where? I always need some wood that I really don't need

Let me know when you read this - I'll buy ya a cup of java when I head down to load some more up - Ames,IA bound next week for a couple days. Empty bed on way back!
          Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

I get it from these folks:

http://www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com/

Wonderful people to do business with. Real down to earth, and as honest as they get!
            Support Our Troops!
            www.mnpatriotguard.org
            www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Woodslayer----have always found lumber prices are very regional and also vary by species. Since you didn't list where you live---kind of hard to offer advice on species.

If you're already traveling some distance, I'd simply search for other dealers and/or saw mills within that area---just compare prices and go from there. Personally, while some people have had luck with mail order lumber, I prefer to see what I'm getting and not have to pay shipping.

I would also say----watch your classified ads and see about joining a local woodworkers' group----some of the best lumber deals are through word of mouth or private parties. And always keep an eye open for demolition of barns and old houses----sometimes you can make a great deal on the spot.
              Dave

Comment

best deals are from churches, if you can find one that is upgrading the seats buy the lot

Comment

I get it from these folks:

http://www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com/

Wonderful people to do business with. Real down to earth, and as honest as they get!
                  O.M.G. - I totally forgot about these folks! [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]redface.gif[/img]
                  I bought some maple amd walnut from them several years back and then forgot even their name when I tried to make a contact some time later. Thought they went out of business or something - had in my mind a totally different name - the pix and it was like BINGO.

Thank you so much - they are wonderful. Anyone in market for lumber in area ------ they are GREAT folks. Top shelf

Comment

I do my best to send business their way Cranky. I found them about two years ago. They only sold lumber in the rough then, so it was a great reason to get a jointer and planer! Figured both those tools have been paid for now when you add up all that I've saved in lumber costs!
                    Support Our Troops!
                    www.mnpatriotguard.org
                    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

I do my best to send business their way Cranky. I found them about two years ago. They only sold lumber in the rough then, so it was a great reason to get a jointer and planer! Figured both those tools have been paid for now when you add up all that I've saved in lumber costs!
                      Bet you actually money ahead or soon to be.
                      I bought rough there before - they assisted me in sorting. Just quality folks.

Thanks again for telling me - how I lost touch and forgot name so quick - especially after the superb experience I had there - show my brain is getting real >>>>>>>>> "weak"

Comment

Here are the prices I pay at my supplier...

Red/White Oak

1" kd rough ………........………………$1.80/bd.ft.

1" quarter sawn .……... ………………$2.10/bd.ft.

2", 3" kd rough,.. ……… … ………… $1.80/bd.ft.

½" kd rough …………………………..$1.60/bd.ft.

Ash - - Cedar - - Elm - - Coffee - - Pine - - Hickory

1" kd rough,….. ...…..………………….$1.50/bd.ft.

Hackberry - - - Locust - - - Mulberry - - - Poplar - - - Cottonwood - - - Silver Maple - - - Sycamore - - - Other

1" kd rough,. ……………..……………..$1.40/bd.ft.
                        Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Prices swing every area in country. You northern guys get some superb pricing. I see twice the prices locally sometimes even higher.

For the benefit of local places I would like to believe it is higher due to shipping fees. In fact it is likely the fact they get away with it.

BTW- I was in Minneapolis-St.Paul to visit over weekend and had pleasure to go to the American-Swedish Institute in Minneapolis. It was originally a "home" commissioned by the Turnblad family and rarely ever used and later became what it is today. I have never seen such an impressive home/building within the walls. Everything hand carved - created the old way. I could have spent weeks within and still remain amazed. You folks there have some extremely impressive buildings with craftmanship that is the "rarest of rares". The Historical Society in Minnesota is extremely gifted and endowed. A model that I only wish all others would immitate. Love your city too - many years since I was last there. I'll be back soon at that. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

It depends, but going to a lumber yard is the equavilent of buying after it's been marked up twice.

I try to buy my stuff from a mill when possible, and have found these prices:

White Oak <$2 bf
                            Qtr White about $3.50
                            Red is $2
                            Walnut about $3.20
                            Cherry about $3.25

Of course, it can vary and you need to look for deals and buy when they come up. For example, someone local to where I work advertised some lumber on Woodnet. I found I can get Poplar for about $1.50 or less and is 5/4 I believe from him.

Comment

Thanks for the replies; it appears I really have some homework to do prior to my next lumber purchase. I live in southeast Michigan and from what has been stated here buy the other northerners, I should be able to find a much better deal. Glad I asked the question.

Woodslayer

Comment

Working...
                              X