X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circle Cutters

I'm looking for a good circle cutter that will work good for hardwoods. I'm trying to make toy cars and trucks and my circle cutter bogs down my drill press when I use it on anything but pine.Any suggestions?.........Donny

I use a General circle cutter (what we used to call a fly cutter). Like other tools, it needs periodic sharpening, could this be the case with yours?

I use mine on the lowest speed my press has (about 200rpm, I think), and plan some patience. If I push the thing too hard it overheats, and generally does a poor job.

Dave

Comment

Fly cutter are just a slow cutter. Slow the machine down and take your time.

Jake

Comment

My circle cutter has 2 cutters, does that matter?.........Donny

Comment

I don't know what kind that is. A fly cutter has one cutter, looks like this:

I should also note that the cutter is moved depending on whether you want a good hole, or a good circle. Note that in that picture, it is set up for a good hole.

Dave

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: Dave Arbuckle ]

Comment

My circle cutter looks like the one pictured but it has a cutter blade on both sides. They are removeable. Do you think that since having 2 cutting blades that would slow it down any? I figured it would cut faster...Donny

Comment

Like I say, never saw one like yours. But one way or another, they have to remove a large amount of stock, and that takes time. If you had a hole cutter with a kerf wide as a fly cutter, it would be really slow cutting too.

Dave

Comment

Don, might try taking a look at Rockler.com. They have a fair amount of toy parts including wheels. Seems to me like I have seen a tool for making wheels. They also have a number of premade wheels and I suspect that some of them may have involved the use of a lathe. Unless you are dead set on making your own wheels, perhaps buying them would be an option.
                Dick

Comment

Don, I gave you the wrong supplier. Sorry about that. Woodcraft carries a rosette and wheel cutter. This may be what you are looking for:
                  http://shop.woodcraft.com/woodcraft/...=false&Giftid=

Wow! that's a URL and then some.
                  Dick

Comment

Thanks, I'll check it out......Donny

Comment

Working...
                    X