Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• table saw /

hi,/
    can some one give a little bit of advice about table saws i would like to get some thing on the best table saw what kind of fence ect, have not won the lottery so money is scarce but i am willing to stretch for the best i can get i am a bit of a novice but love the wood i have been looking at the ridgid table saw seems a good strong one my work shop is about 18x 12 and i have a rs1000 ras.once i get going i would like to get 6"1/2 jointer again i would like to know what you guys would advise .thing is when i see these tools i i just got to have em, yesterday like (dream on)! i am in the u.k . but when i get the chance me and the missuss head for the u.s. me in the home depot ect, and she in the shops but any way you have a great wood forum ect nice just reading your ideas .i spend a lot of time looking at the yanke wood shop norm doing his thing the tools he has in there are great does any one here watch these wood shops on the box . any way i would like to know what you all think . bye for now guys good health . [img]http://[/img]

You need you ask yourself two questions.
    1.)How much ripping capity you need?
    2.) Horse power!
    Now I own the ridgid TS 2424. That saw came before the 3650, but looking at Ridgid TS3650 Has 36" to the right rip capity, and 1.5 horse power. The fence locks down right where you want it. A very well written manual. There is one draw back the under size miter gauge slots. There not 3/8x3/4". The only time that matters is for a cross cut jig or tennoning jig. I hope this helps
    Andy B.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy B.:
      There is one draw back the under size miter gauge slots. There not 3/8x3/4". jig.
      The miter slots on my 3650 are 3/8" x 3/4" (.390" x .755" to be exact). And they are t-slots. I would imagine other 3650's are the same.
      Lorax
      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Focus on the fence. I prefer saws with a nice Bies style fence. It's been the benchmark in industry of quality and accuracy for many years.

Powermatic 64A, Jet Xacta fence saws, Delta - Bies are 3 big ones that have this type of fence.

If you are comfortable buying mail order < which I prefer not to > you can look at a General or Grizzly which also carry similar fence style at a lesser price. Quality difference, depends on who you ask. Some will say exact same saw, others will say lesser quality. I don't order without a local dealer, so I really don't care.. lol

Hope this helps.

Jake

Comment

Just for clarification - Grizzly is mail order only unless you live near one of three showrooms. General/General International has a dealer network, although a smaller one than Delta, Jet, PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood:
            Just for clarification - Grizzly is mail order only unless you live near one of three showrooms. General/General International has a dealer network, although a smaller one than Delta, Jet, PM.
            And the General is a true blue licensed Bies fence too.

I have no reservations about ordering out something - around here even most who sell the so-called Big Labels often don't have anything in-house but the floor model anyway so I always feel they making a lot of money as a middle man for providing next to nothing anyway .... even their service centers elsewhere if ever needed anyway so what's the difference really? .... just my .02
            Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Cranky,

guess there's perks to living in chicago area then.. lol

Woodcraft and the place where I bought my saw from both stocked the PM saw I bought as well as others. It actuall helped when I was sent bent 50 inch front rail. My dealer swapped me out, saved me some headaches.

Rockler doesn't stock too many big tools though. I guess it depends where ya shop.

Jake

Comment

I knew it Jake - there had to be some advantage to the city livin'

Rockler - WoodCraft - Tried and True - not good at all around here unless they gonna do a sale at which time they add a few.

Harris Machinery is big around here - at prices above anyone of course. I have no doubt They have some in back tho. Few know of them at that - mainly sell to business entity with Fat Checkbooks.

So now you trying to get me to move to Chi-Town eh! Everytime I get on beltline there I think I go backwards. Doesn't that traffic make you go ?????????????????
                Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

hi!
                  jake ,andy,all the woody guys thanks for the info really appreciated i tell you . the ts 3650 heard a lot about this in the forum ,by the way i just want the hobbie side of things ,for now .the fence seems real important,ect. what do you think of the 6 1/2 planer by ridgid . and one question i just gotta ask is their a lazer you can get for the ridgid ras rs1000 craftsman got one on their ras /looks identical to rs1000.the table that comes with it is a fair size but i would like to make it longer can you buy or just make your own .and will a 2hp motor cope with cutting mahogany beach pine say 3" 1/2. o.k. said enough bye guys and thanks again [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Ah you mean The ridgid 6 1/8" jointer. Very fast set up, plenty of power& A very well written manual. I can't talk about the ridgid RAS1000 because I don't own one.
                    Andy B.

Comment

Highway definitely sucks in rush hour. Other than that it's fine. I live about 45 minutes west of Chicago. I would never actually live in the city itself. I enjoy driving too much.

Althought I did buy my saw from a town called Sycamore, IL. They had full line of Jet / Powermatic set up in house and stocked. It's a cornfield city right next to DeKalb.

I bet if you called Jet / Powermatic / Delta you could find somewhere to feel them. I called PM to find a dealer. Everywhere I looked I saw jet & Delta. Wanted to see the big Yellow though.

Jake

Comment

I build furniture with my tools and I have found the Ridgid Jointer, TS, Mitre saw and drill to be excellent for the cost. Would I rather have a Powermatic 66 Cabinet, sure, but I do not want to pay $2000. The tools are good, mostly it is craftmanship after a certain level.
                        SCWood

Comment

Hey Chip
                          I only been cuttin' wood for 6 month's. I got a TS3650. This machine is a magnitude better doing what it does than I am doing what I do. But every time I use it I get better. I want to make stuff. And I can't make stuff if I don't have any money to buy some WOOD. Lord knows it is a huge temptation to put all your money in equipment and tools. I had to get a bench plan, a jointer was just too far out there. Maybe in a year or so. One thing I've found out, this is a hooby that demands patience. But I love it. Best of luck.
                          If a butterfly didn\'t have wings, they\'d call it a butterwalk.

Comment

Working...
                          X