X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saws vs Available Space

I'm working through some trade-offs between contractor style and bench style table saws. I'm just an occasional user/hobbyist and I'd probably use the saw more for craft style work rather than trying to make real furniture. The 2400 gives me the compactness and portability I'm looking for and the 2424 gives me what this forum and many others consider to be a better overall saw for not much more money. My question is, is there a way or means to break down a contractor saw for storage in between projects that is not a pain in the rear or harmful to the parts of the saw?

Hi,

You could take the wings, legs, fence and guides off. Then you have something ungodly heavy without wheels to move it. And, you then have to store all the other components in a way they will not be damaged. When you want to use it, you will have to spend time putting it back together and make sure everything is in alignment.

Mine stays in my garage. I just throw a piece of plywood over it and it doubles as an extra work or storage space. I wouldn't even consider taking it apart.

Best regards,

Henry

Comment

I have a very small shop about 8'x12' I own the TS2424-1. With the Her-u-lift it easy to move around if I'm not using it. I put a peice of plywood over mine a use it for light assy. work. For me it better then a bence top saw because it has all the power I need. And I can rip larger sheetsof plywood with no problem. If it ws me I would go with the TS2424 It's god for a small shop and if you build a bigger shop you'l be set. AS Henry said if you take the legs and wings off your need a few strong men to move it. I hope this was of some help for you
      Dan<br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101</a>

Comment

I agree with Dan. My 2424 is in the basement, or rather in the half of the basement that is available for my hobbies. It shares a space about 12 x 24 with a miter saw, two general work benches, two ice boxes, a steam boiler, and a reloading bench, but hasn't been a problem. The Herc-U-Lift system not only makes moving the saw for the purpose of freeing up space a breeze, but also when I have to re-position it for different types of cuts: ripping long stuff requires one orientation, while cross-cutting long stuff requires another. It simply hasn't been a problem.

The time-tested general rule of table saws seems to be to buy the biggest and best you can. Regardless of what you think today about what you'll be doing with it, over time you'll get more ambitious, and a less powerful and less accurate saw will leave you disappointed. (Same rule applies to snow blowers, for which the most important two attributes are: (1) biggest mother that will fit in the garage and (2) electric starter.)

If you amortize the difference in cost between a 2424 and a lesser saw over the decades you have it, the extra cost is zilch, and as a practical matter, the extra size just isn't a problem. Go for it.

Comment

Go for the best that you can afford then add $ to that and get exactly what you really want. Yes I did and with the lift I move it outside when I have BIG wood to cut, inside os ok for the small stuff. I am ENJOYING the power,ease of set up and with a Woodworker blade , dado set and several home made jigs I do anything I want..making some furmiture at this time,,dd [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Get the radial arm saw! I have very limited space in my workshop(basement) and had to choose. After talking to a ton of other woodworkers they all agreed that the radial arm saw was the more versitile space/cost effective tool.

Comment

I got the TS2424 with the same issue a workshop in the basement of about 12 X 20. It is great. No problem with space. I also have a RAS (about a 1975 Craftsman) but it has not been as versitile for making furniture and if you do a lot of ripping, the bearing tend to wear out quick. For me the parts for the RAS are being discontinued in about 12 months so it was time to get the best machine for all needs.

Lisa

Comment

Oh oh, I'm about to get in trouble now

Check out http://WWW.samconder.com

For limited space, for moveability, for accuracy, for serious or hobby work this saw works well.

That being said It is also under exclusive arrangement with HD where you are looking at the Ridgid equipment. (Although Sears has them made for them under the Craftsman name).

There are many different ways to look at the problems of space. This is one.

Good luck,

Charlie
                Ryobi cult member spreading the peace (well, maybe not this time)

Comment

Working...
                X