X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining 2 pieces for table legs

I'm having a hard time coming up with a single piece of wood that will provide a 2.75" thick square tapered table leg. Given I'm new to woodworking, I'm wondering if it is acceptable practice to join two boards together then bring it down to my final size.

My legs are 32 inches tall starting at 2.75" tapering down to 1.5"

I'd very much appreciate any feedback/thoughts.

Welcome to the forum...
    You can get 12/4 wood at most lumber mills but the rest of use that are still searching for the ever elusive money tree laminate 4/4 on all but the most special projects. If you look at production furniture almost all of it is laminated
    IF you are looking for mills etc. try here
    Woodfinder

[ 06-03-2004, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: wbrooks ]

Comment

As wbrooks said it is common. The most important thing in doing so, IMHO, is to spend a bit of time selecting the wood you want. Carefully select pieces that have grain that match and glue them up. With careful selection and good glueing and finishing technique you will create a piece that is virtually impossible to tell is a glue up.
      I came...<br /><br />I saw...<br /><br />I changed the plans.

Comment

As Brooks and GW have already said, carefully select pieces to laminate to achieve the thickness you need.

I did this on a recent project, a small table, vut used a piece of 4/4 stock wide enough that I could rip and cut to length both pieces I would need to laminate together to form one leg. these two pieces were adjacent pieces cut form the same length of the wider stock so that when glued together the grain matched about as close as possible. Making sure your pieces are true (flat) and good clamping will help greatly.

When I took my pieces out of the clamps and after cutting to size and planing them I had a tough time finding the glue seams, they were still there, but you have to get right up on them to find them, like a couple inches away. From a foot or more away you can't see them.

Comment

Also---Welcome!

Selection of your stock is very important, as was said. Having a planer or using a jointer to get dead flat mating surfaces is also important. I've also found----don't spare the clamps. I put clamps ever 12" or if the wood is a bit warped, every 6". Leaving the wood in the clamps over night is a must, so I generally get started on glue-ups first. Have fun.
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X