X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer question

I am triing to quare off two 2x4.5x36" rough lumber, White Pine, to glue together to make legs that will be turned but my boards are not flat once both are put together. It seems they are still bowed. Am I feeding it incorrectly? I have it set up to cut less than 1/8th and I feed it pressing against the lower (infeed) table pretty much the whole way through.

Any help would be great.
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

The correct method is to put pressure on the outfeed table(rear table) as soon as possible. The outfeed table should be set tangent to the knives. This then becomes the "guiding surface" when planing. Of course, you must begin on the infeed table, but as soon as enough material passes over the cutter head put downward pressure on the work piece on the outfeed side. Contine with pressure on the outfeed table until the cut is complete. If you have never used a jointer before it will take a little practice to get the feel. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bdueker:
      The correct method is to put pressure on the outfeed table(rear table) as soon as possible. The outfeed table should be set tangent to the knives. This then becomes the "guiding surface" when planing. Of course, you must begin on the infeed table, but as soon as enough material passes over the cutter head put downward pressure on the work piece on the outfeed side. Contine with pressure on the outfeed table until the cut is complete. If you have never used a jointer before it will take a little practice to get the feel. Thanks!
      Thanks. I am sure I heard (or read) to feed the stock from the infeed table...but it isn't working so something must be wrong...I will try feeding it then applying pressure on the out feed table as you mentioned. Thanks again.

Comment

"...I have it set up to cut less than 1/8th..."

If by this you mean that you are taking a little less than 1/8" in a single pass I would also suggest that you reduce the amount of material removed in each pass and take a couple swipes instead of one.

Just because the joiner specs say it can remove up to 1/8 of material doesn't mean of course that you should be running at the edge of the machines limits, especially for a finish cut. For taking material down to rough size taking a swipe at 1/16 to 1/8 " is OK, but once you get close I would drop back to taking 1/32 or less in each pass.

You wouldn't try and take a 1/16th of an inch off with a hand plane would you? No, when you are hogging off material to arrive near your final thickness yeah you can be more agressive but when you want to get the surface glassy smooth you adjust your plane to remove paper thin shavings, why operate what is basically a motorized plane in any different manner?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.:
          "...I have it set up to cut less than 1/8th..."

If by this you mean that you are taking a little less than 1/8" in a single pass I would also suggest that you reduce the amount of material removed in each pass and take a couple swipes instead of one.

Just because the joiner specs say it can remove up to 1/8 of material doesn't mean of course that you should be running at the edge of the machines limits, especially for a finish cut. For taking material down to rough size taking a swipe at 1/16 to 1/8 " is OK, but once you get close I would drop back to taking 1/32 or less in each pass.

You wouldn't try and take a 1/16th of an inch off with a hand plane would you? No, when you are hogging off material to arrive near your final thickness yeah you can be more agressive but when you want to get the surface glassy smooth you adjust your plane to remove paper thin shavings, why operate what is basically a motorized plane in any different manner?
          Got ya!

Comment

Working...
          X