X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router bit safety

Hope someone can shed some light on this issue.

I've been using a 5/8" deep bushing to route some letters for a sign. Since the bushing adds more depth to the distance the bit has to plunge, in this case a 5/8" deep bushing, how far can you extend the bit in the collett to allow the bit to reach to workpiece beyond the bottom of the bushing.

Is this a no no?? I heard you should always seat bits about 1/8" from bottoming out in the collett but when using a bushing, dont you need to extend it out more??? Or maybe the 5/8" bushing is too deep for this type of work. What would you use a bushing this size for then?? I didnt extend it out too far, I think that is undsafe but how do you get around this issue? Could it also be my router? I have a Hitachi M12V. The collet hits the bushing nut at the bottom of the plunge.

ps - I'm using the porter cable style bushings.

If I understeand the question, you are considering making up for extra depth required (to account for the bushing depth -- or more accurately, to account for the thickness of the template you are using) by short-seating the router bit (presumably a straight bit).

Don't do it. Buy a longer (i.e., deeper cut) bit.

Comment

Do they make router bits with longer shanks? I was using a 1/2" round nose bit. I havent seen any longer?

Comment

Here are some links to a few bit manufacturers...

Jesada bits
        http://www.jesada.com/mall/Web_store...=8438195_13423

Oldham/Viper Bits
        http://www.oldham-usa.com/Products/B...AboutViper.htm

Bosch Bits
        http://www.boschtools.com/Tools+and+...ries+Home.htm#

Comment

I think the M12V is like my Freud FT2000e, where the collet is so deep that the entire bit is swallowed?

Minimum, I mean dead flat absolute minimum, safe seating on a collet in good condition is 1 1/2 times the shank diameter. Being that I refuse to risk my life on the edge, the least amount I will seat a 1/2" shank bit is one inch. Least I will seat a 1/4" shank is 3/4".

Another thought. Five-eighths template guides are usually unnecessarily deep, to accomodate certain hinge-boring jigs. If your template guide is up in the nearly an incch deep range, hacksaw (grind, whatever method strikes you) it down to a reasonable depth. The required depth for most template work is very small, just enough to engage the template.

Work safe.

Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave. I'm actually trashing that entire template set except the letters and I'm going to cut my own out of masonite. Then I wont have to use the crazy jig these came with and then I can use a regular bushing.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Check out the Jesada bushings/guides, also. I think the barrel length on these guides is only about 1/4". This would allow you to seat your bit deeper. The bushings are also compatible with PC.
              Dick

Comment

Working...
              X