No announcement yet.

Planing Concerns

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planing Concerns

Finally, as a result of warmer weather, had a good day using my new Rigid planer with pine boards. I noticed two things that concerned me: First, there appears to be small white spots that would look like small tear marks. I am careful to run the board through so that the grain is as suggested in the manual. To be sure, I run it the other way and find the same result. Now, it is not too bad with the pine because I can sand it away. However, my next project is with cherry and this wood seems to less easy to correct faults (more $$ as well). Any thoughts on this problem?

Second, I had a problem keeping the chips from not going into my Rigid Wet/Dry vac - they ended up interfering with the cut and making a real mess of the board. I cleaned the rollers, polished the table, & ensured the vac was working at max suction. I have used a car vinyl cleaner on the chip collector to ensure it is clean and slippery to minimize friction. I am running out of options. Could the blades be gummed up already? Tomorrow, I will clean the machine one more time and try it again. Any other ideas?

How often should I be cleaning the rollers, polishing the table, cleaning the blades, etc? What is a good pitch/gum cleaner?

Any reply to any of the above questions is greatly appreciated.

You may be trying to take off too much at one time. I haven't used my planer on pine, but have seen those spots you described when my neighbor was using my planner on a wheelbarrow full of cyprus. He reduced the depth of cut and solved the problem.

I don't believe your shop vac can keep up with a planer, especially if you are taking a deep cut. I tried one on mine and it couldn't keep up with light cuts. The cuts on the planer are not normally fine dust and I just removed my dust hood, brush off the outfeed table (I have mine mounted in a bench) and check to see if the planer needs to be cleaned. If so, I just vacuum it out before running any more boards through it.

I am still wondering about my above mentioned problem. Could the wood have excess moisture? I got the wood from a reputable dealer and I believed him when he said it was dry. However, I put the wood in my basement and stickered it keeping it off the concrete floor. Is it possible that the wood took on additional moisture during the 2 weeks it was there. I live in the Maritimes of Canada (if that helps providing an answer as to the climate).

In response to Bob's response (thanks), I only take of the absolute minimum each pass (1/32 of an inch max). The vac appears to have great suction however I notice not every chip is being sucked into the dust port.

Thanks, David

Wood Moisture:

There is no absolute level of moisture content where wood is "dry". Given a constant temperature and humidity, wood attains what is called "EMC", equilibrium moisture content. Being that the environment generally changes, the wood is constantly taking on or losing moisture seeking EMC.

On your marring problem, there are two common causes. One is tearout, as you supposed. Sometimes that will just happen, it depends on the grain structure of the wood. The other problem that can occur relates to the non-evacuation of chips. The chips can recirculate inside the machine and get between the roller and the stock, causing a dent. Close inspection should tell you which you have. The good news is a harder wood like Cherry is likely to dent less from recirculated chips.

I've never tried running a planer with a vacuum, so I can't help there.

It is most likely that the vac cannot keep up with the planer. A vac is designed to move relatively small amounts of air at a high velocity. This works well for small dust particles, but not real well for planer chips. A dust collector move huge amounts of air but at a relatively low velocity. This is what you need to clear the chips on a planer. It sounds like the chips are not getting cleared, and are getting pressed into the piece by the feed rollers.
          -Rob<br /> <a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\"></a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

hi i think you,ll have less problems w/ cherry. i also have problems w/ pine i think its because the chips are more like flakes and they clog the chip ports im also using the largest ridgid vac on mine (cant remember the model) but i surface rough sawn oak,cherry, and b walnut with no problems, another prob as you suggest may be gumming under the blades from the pitch but i would be carefull what you clean with, i read someplace that silicone in some spray lubricants can screw up some wood finishes but others may have more info

A little slow on the response.

I've planed a lot of pine, with the same problems you've seen.

As for the chips, I went to a much higher horse power/CFM vaccuum and this has mostly solved the problem as long as I clean the outfeed once a day or so.

For the marring, I only get this on Pine, and try to do an extremely fine shave to finish the board.

I get the same results with pine but tend to believe it's the boards. I say this because not every board I feed through shows this problem.

One thing I have seen on really dry boards, the chips have a static charge and cling to everything, including the area around the cutterhead. This causes a regrinding action that looks like a bunch of divots taken out of the wood. I generally gets worse as the board progress due to the more chips backing up in the machine. By the end of a board where this happens, there are a large number of chips coming out of the front of the planer. The best solution I have found is to spritz the surface to be planed with a light coat of water. This will keep the static at bay.