X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cabinets

I'm putting in base kitchen cabinets and i only have 1/2"(1" all together) walls to work with, what are the best type of screws to work with?
    Thanks for the reply.
    What i mean is the base cabinet to a base cabinet where there is no lip at the door just wherethe walls of the two cabinet meet?

[ 03-01-2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: PLSB319 ]

Your question is a little confusing. Are you talking about securing the back cabinet cleats to the wall? For base cabinets, since the screws only have to hold the cabinets in position, you could get away with long drywall screws into the wall studs. Upper cabinets are a much different matter in that drywall screws don't have the shear strength to hold the weight. I'd use at least #10s for upper cabinets, long enough to go into the stud at least 1 1/2". If this doesn't answer your question, please clairfy.
    Dave

Comment

Upper cabinets are a much different matter in that drywall screws don't have the shear strength to hold the weight. I'd use at least #10s for upper cabinets, long enough to go into the stud at least 1 1/2". I have been self employed for nearly 20 years and have installed more than a few kitchens, drywall screws work fine. AS long as you do'nt get carried away when you tighten the screws down, you will have no problem. For a wall with half inch on it I use 2 1/2 drywall screws for the upper and lowers.

Comment

I have been self employed for nearly 20 years and have installed more than a few kitchens, drywall screws work fine. AS long as you do'nt get carried away when you tighten the screws down, you will have no problem. For a wall with half inch on it I use 2 1/2 drywall screws for the upper and lowers.

Comment

I think you are saying you want to screw the sidewalls of the base cabinets to each other. Right? There is a special fastener similar to a nut and bolt that will do the job. They have flat heads and the two halves of the fastener screw together. I wish I could remember what they are called. Ask at a hardware store where the people know what they're doing. [img]smile.gif[/img]
          Lorax
          "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Yes, i was talking about putting two of them together. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I've always called what Lorax referred to as Sex Bolts or Barrel Bolts , the "nut" side is a threaded sleeve about the same length as the bolt with flat washer type or screw looking head on. When I installed my kitchen cabinets I clamped them together, drilled a pilot hole and used the appropriate length screw in two or three places. Yes they were short but I haven't had a problem yet!

Comment

I've used the "barrel bolts" myself. They work well but can get expensive. Lately, I have taken to using short pan head or drywall screws under the hinge (assuming you have the hidden hinges). There's usually plenty of clearance under the hinge. With the pan head you don't have to worry about pulling through too far and punching through the adjacent cabinet. You do need to clamp and pre-drill carefully since the screw won't be able to pull the cabinets together. I usually use cabinets with 3/4" sides and 1 1/4" screws. I usually put 2 screw under each hinge. With 1/2" sides you could use 7/8" screws but that should still get you enough hold - provided you're not trying to bolt up an entire bank of cabinets and install as one unit. Of course there may be some cases where you don't have a hinge on at least 1 side so something will have to show.

[ 03-02-2004, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: ByteButcher ]

Comment

Thanks guys that helps alot.

Comment

Working...
                  X