X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i should have paid attention in geometry class

there is a simple way to figure this out...and i am sure i am going to be embarresed by asking this here but i dont care

i am cuttign some landscape timbers and using my compound miter saw. problem is my saw only swings 45 degrees either way and i have to cut some 59 and steeper angles. there is a way to set the saw and cut the opposite angle. is it by subtracting the angle from 90? or 180?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Here's what I do. Cut a piece of 2x material at a 45 degree angle and screw it to the left side of the fence. Make sure the point of the angled side is close to the blade without touching it. Set your saw at 14* to the right. You will need a support for the end of the timber (or a helper). Now you can cut 59*.
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Put the board on the saw as you would if you could cut the angle. Subtract the angle from 90 degrees 90 - 59 = 31 deg and set the saw for this angle. Roll/flip the board over so that the side that was facing up towards the ceiling is now facing down towards the floor. That will give you the angle that you want.

Lining up the cut where you want is a little harder to explain. I would probably start by marking the original angle on the board and put an "X" on the "scrap" side. Then, using a square, make two lines all the way around circumference of the board at each end of the angled line you just drew. Using these lines along with the "X" you will be able to figure out how to line it up when you roll the board over.

Try it once and you will see how it works. It is much simpler to see by doing it than explain.
      Mark

Comment

another option would be is to go to your lo9cal woodworkers store and purchase a bevel square. use as you would a speed square and find your angle, then line up your blade on your saw accordingly.

saves on the math. Hope I helped

happy woodworking

Comment

Working...
        X