X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUST COLLECTOR EFFECTIVENESS

i saw an article in a woodworkning magazine that i was thinking of "improving" on. was wondering if anyone has done anything like this before and if so looking for reviews...

lets build a 48" square out of 1x6 pine. use a 4X4 square piece of plywood on the bottom....a 4X4 square piece of cork board on the top. cut a round hole in one side and insert a flange that fits a shop vac. use some of that rubberized backing on the cork board (with holes) to hold the work in place. hook up the shop vac and set the work to be sanded on top of the rubber mat. is this a semi effective sander dust collector?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

not cork board....i meant peg board...! hands working faster than brain tonite.
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Will you be using a ROS. If so, there is no need whatsoever in using/making a downdraft table/box. Connect the ROS to your ShopVac. Zero dust anywhere.

I'm using a Bosch 1295 with their attachment and 15' of 1" hose directly to a small vac that has the Craftsman auto switch. Switch on the ROS, starts the vac automatically, and nothing escapes.

The vac is the very quiet 4HP 10Gal QSP ShopVac from Lowes for $29. Of course you could invest in the Fein or Alto for 10x++ the price, but this is surprisingly quiet and very cost effective.

To support the workpiece I use the standard dimpled matting that's used for holding routered pieces to the bench, also used for cutlery in kitchen drawers and at least 20-30 other uses! Dependent on the use, price changes by +/-300%

David

[ 09-13-2003, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Cutbuff ]

Comment

I made a similar unit although considerably smaller. Mine is about 18" X 30" (going by memory so I'm sure the measurements are not correct). I used a plywood top and drilled countersunk holes through it and then sanded the underside. My shop vac simply did not have enough power to handle that volume of air.

Here is a picture of it:
        down draft

Bob R

Comment

Bob R, I sure like those rollaround carts. Where could somebody obtain plans for these?

Comment

I also would like plans if you have them!!!!

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X