X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawer face problem

I am working on rebuilding 54 drawers in a lady's home. Each one of them is flush at the top when closed but the bottom sticks out about 1/8-3/16". I've checked the runners for level and the face frame for plumb. They aren't perfect, but close enough to allow some of the drawers to close plumb, but for the most part every drawer in the house does this. The old drawers were made from particle board (which I hate) but they seem to be square (what's left of them anyway).

So the drawer fronts were checked and some were bowed a bit, but even the little ones that are perfectly plumb when in the runner do this. It's a mystery I am not familiar enough with to fix. She's never noticed this until now and wants them straight....any ideas??
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

(1) Do they run on the drawer sides, or is there a different runner method?

(2) Are there dust panels between drawers, or can you get to one while it is in the closed position?

My first guess is that the sides (or other runners) are worn toward the rear more than front. This is common when the sides are used as runners, because there is so much friction the user lifts while opening, causing all the wear on the back.

Dave

Comment

They are mounted on slides and the backs are slightly lower than the fronts. I was told on another forum that this is a standard practice so the drawers will stay closed during foot traffic. It's a crawl space home that was built in the early 60's here in Dallas. At first I laughed, but then since I know very little about drawers, I bought into it....what do you think?
      Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Kelly:
        you can determine if the back is dropping when closed by pulling the drawer out a couple of inches and measuring the top of the drawer to the face and the bottom of the drawer to the face. If there is no difference when open, then you've found the problem -- the slides are dropping the drawer down in the back when closed. If this is the case, the only practical solution (other than replacing the slides with full-extension type), is to raise the back of the slides 'til the front bottom is flush when closed.

If you decide to replace the slides, HD has the full-extension type for ~$22, depending on length.

rotsa ruck & bee safe

Rodney J in TX

Comment

Then it sounds like they have always been proud at bottom.

The slides are installed incorrectly. When a slide is mounted low at back, it is supposed to be mounted askew on the drawer at the exact same angle. Or in other words, when the drawer is pulled out, the box actually rises a little while remaining parallel to the floor. It isn't a very good technique, hard to install properly and if the slides slope too much the drawers won't stay open.

Far better would be to replace the slides with self-closers, mounted parallel to floor. But, that's going to be a hefty pricetag for that many drawers. If the idea is reasonable, let me know and I'll point you at a supplier with much, much lower prices than the Depot. (From memory)Depending on size of course, the slides should be under $10 per pair.

Dave

Comment

I did mention that replacing them would be costly since each slide in the kitchen is 18"-22" and the bathrooms are 16"-22"...my guess was the slides alone on the 54 drawers would run around $850...she winced and has put the slides on perma-hold....will advise if that changes for quote...thanks, Dave.

Comment

Hey Dave,

If you don't mind, point me to that drawer slide supplier please. I am wincing as well at the cost. If I could save few bucks I could buy more tools!

Best regards,

Henry

Comment

What kinds of quantities, Henry? Different suppliers have different purchase requirements.

Dave

Comment

Oops! Sorry for the delay, missed your post, Dave. Not exactly sure of quantity but estimate at least 20 pair and if I include another planned project possibly up to 30.

Best regards,

Henry

Comment

Kelly,
                    Your post got me to searching the ole memory banks. Seems I remember a long while back reading that it was common practice to "cant" drawers so that the tops of the drawer fronts would contact the face frame first. This eliminated any visible gaps at the tops of the drawers and just made everything cleaner looking as well as easier to align during installation. FWIW.
                    Jim

Comment

Glad you reminded me, Henry.

After posting in this thread, I did a little looking around for reasonably priced slides in low quantity. Grizzly is selling ShopFox slides for very attractive prices. The most expensive being a 26" full extension for $11.95, quantity one. They say discounts start at only 6.

I haven't seen these slides particularly, but I would guess they are the run of the mill inexpensive Taiwanese slides, which actually tend to be pretty good.

Given any luck, this link goes to their slide page: http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...673516&DS_ID=1 .
                      If not, you have to paw around their site a little to find the "Hardware" link.

Dave
                      (apologies for the bad pun )

Comment

After pawing around a bit, now that I have most of my woodworking tools, I want to make things out of metal now. Mills, lathes - OH YEAH! But back on topic. I checked out their prices and find they are pretty much on a par with Cabinetparts.com. They have an econo 24" full extension for $10.29. Accuride 24" for $11.47. Accuride 24" self-closing for $14.62. I am pretty sure they offer a discount for quantities but you have to call them.

Best regards,

Henry

Comment

How 'bout this? http://www.mortonmachinery.com/machi...6-50/5140.html

Dave

Comment

Sweet! We used to have these in my highschool metal shop. Sorry I never got into it back then.

This is back to woodworking but how 'bout this one?

http://www.lagunatools.com/lx31.htm

Comment

You probably don't want to hear my opinion of that particular machine.

If you're interested in a tool of that sort on a budget, perhaps consider this one: http://www.tech-mark.com/classicalwoodworking.htm# (warning, this vendor is sometimes kind of unresponsive to e-mailed queries).

If you like top-of-the-line and the budget will support same, these guys build some jewels: http://www.felderusa.com/

Dave
                              (Your high school shop had a Bridgeport? Nicer school than I went to... )

Comment

Working...
                              X