X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD508 & 3650: NOT the usual arbor question

ive had my 3650 for 2 weeks now and really like it; yada yada yada.

so i go to try out my sd508 to check the arbor, and the dado blades wont even got onto the arbor more than maybe 1/8"!?! in fact, every freud blade i own get stuck 1/2 way on the arbor max. my WWII goes on fine but the freuds wont go?

am i missing something here?

thanks
    /ken

[ 09-03-2005, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: kpeluso ]

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. If as you say your dado set won't go on the arbor more than 1/8" than all you should be able to mount on the arbor is just 1 of the outside blades. Is that whats happening? If the regular blade that came with the saw fits all the way onto the arbor then a dado set should also fit. It sounds like more of a problem with the bore of the dado set than the arbor to me.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

thats what im saying. like i said my forrest blade fits but nothing that i own from freud fits.

they worked just fine on the cabinet saw i owned...

Comment

If you have a caliper, I'd measure the OD of the arbor and compare that with the ID of the bore on your dado blades and your Forrest blade. That should pretty much pinpoint where your problem lies.

Comment

Not to worry...I like my Freud blades just fine, but I love my Forrest. Get a Forrest dado and you're in business!

Comment

Check inside the arbor hole of the blades. Probably has paint buildup from Factory. Clean the holes with a knife blade and they should fit on there.
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Thanks all for the replies...

Badger: ill measure but if theyre all made for 5/8 arbor and they fit a Delta hybrid & a Grizzly, i say its a problem with the ridgid arbor. ???

hewood: thatd be good if i didnt already pay good $$$ for the freud blades months ago.

papadan: i gave that a try and now they at least go on but it bothers me that i have to wiggle each one a bit instead of just sliding them over the arbor like im used to.

[ 09-04-2005, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: kpeluso ]

Comment

Originally posted by kpeluso:
                .........Badger: ill measure but if theyre all made for 5/8 arbor and they fit a Delta hybrid & a Grizzly, i say its a problem with the ridgid arbor. ???
                Or, possibly, the Delta hybrid and Grizzly saws come with slightly undersized arbors. Considering the function of a dado set, a snug fit between the blades and the arbor should be considered a good thing. A dado blade setup with excessive slop between the blades and the arbor could result in uneven bottoms in your dado cuts.

Don't take this in the wrong way but it kinda sounds like you've already made up your mind that the Ridgid arbor is the cause of your difficulties without even checking other possibilities. Let us know what the results are when you finish measureing the arbor and blades.

Comment

Don't take this in the wrong way but it kinda sounds like you've already made up your mind that the Ridgid arbor is the cause of your difficulties without even checking other possibilities.
                  no, i havent. but when something fits correctly on a number of other machines and you have to fight to get it on another, id say its kinda easy to make an educated guess where the problem MAY lie.

i absolutely want a snug fit but i dont feel like i need to wobble the blade back and forth and exert a lot of force to get them onto the arbor. ill post the measurements shortly. thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X