ms1050

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ms1050

In the owners manual on pg. 21 the miter setting for cutting crown moulding is 31.6deg. right or left. Do they mean right or left of the 0 deg. mark or moving the miter clockwise & counterclockwise?

I recently read a similar thing about crown moulding, I couldn't get the mitre to fit right. In the end the answer was to flip the crown upside down, with the part for the ceiling on the bed of the saw, and the part for the wall against the back. then just cut the appropriate 45's. If the walls are particularily crooked, there are relatively inexpensive protractors (less than $10)that will give you the wall angle letting you adjust the saw angle.

Just be sure you have the crown flat on the bottom and back, try a few practice pieces and you'll get the swing, it's not hard.

Comment

Germ,

The manual is intending to say that you pivot the table that direction, either to the right or the left, not use the right or the left scale. Its a bit misleading on that saw since the scale moves and the table is stationary, as opposed to most saws where the scale is stationary.

Jake

[ 04-01-2003, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: JSchnarre ]

Comment

thank you for your help. I have another question. The crown moulding I am using has both beveled edges at a 45* angle and measures 1-7/8" from the corner of the wall to the edge of the moulding do I still use a 2x4 cut at a 45* for a nailer board since it is a little small?

Comment

I just nailed it to studs and strapping, using a stud finder. I'm far from a pro, some might suggest the nailer as you described. I can see where it might have been helpful at times, but now that the jobs done I'd let my work be compared to anyone around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Creature:
            I recently read a similar thing about crown moulding, I couldn't get the mitre to fit right. In the end the answer was to flip the crown upside down, with the part for the ceiling on the bed of the saw, and the part for the wall against the back. then just cut the appropriate 45's. If the walls are particularily crooked, there are relatively inexpensive protractors (less than $10)that will give you the wall angle letting you adjust the saw angle.

Just be sure you have the crown flat on the bottom and back, try a few practice pieces and you'll get the swing, it's not hard.

Comment

Germ,

It sounds like you are using 45º crown, instead of the most standard 38/52º molding. The miter and bevel angles are a bit different, but the steps are exactly the same.

For a 90º corner the miter should be set at 35.3º and the bevel should be at 30º. Just place those angles into the instruction chart in your manual and you should be set.

Jake

Comment

Working...
              X