Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face-joint boards wider than jointer

Hello All,

I'm sure this has probably been asked before, though I could not find it in the archives, so here goes.

First, I'm a weekend woodworker with moderate skills, and I have a Tablesaw, Jointer and Planer. I'm building a project with my Son, and need straight, flat boards (with all of these machines, that shouldn't be too much to ask, right?). I have basic 1 x 12 stock for which I need to face-joint (the final width will probably be 10 inches). The edges are no problem, though the boards are too wide for the Jointer, and I know that the Planer needs one flat surface to start with. The board is fairly flat to begin with, though not perfect, and I need a flat surface for square assembly and accurate drawer glides.

How can I get a flat surface on a board wider the the Jointer Knives? I know that I can rip the boards and glue them back together, though don't want to if I don't have to. In this case, I want the look of a solid board - not laminated pieces.

With all of the equipment I have, I should be able to do this, right? If not, maybe there is a straight-forward method of handling the job with a hand-plane?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

With the machines you have, the planer would be my choice.

If the wood is cupped, cut the piece in half lengthways and plane both pieces seperately. Depending on the amount of cupping, cutting the pieces in half reduces the amount of the cup.

If the wood is twisted, run the stock through the planer, alternating sides, until flat.

If the wood is bowed, find someone with a commercial jointer who would be willing to face joint it.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

dbird, have a look at this video on using a planer sled to surface wide boards
      FWW Planer Sled

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Wayne, I think I have the issue of Fine Woodworking referenced in the article. I'll try and find it tonight.

Thanks again,

Dennis

Comment

Working...
        X