X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS1400 Question?

I am looking at purchasing a Ridged band saw. It list for $349 on web site, my HD has it for $399. I read some posts on here where some of you bought it for $300 and less. Is this the same BS or has Ridged upgraded it recently?

Grizzly has their "ultimate 14" band saw for $425. which is 1hp instead of 3/4hp. Vibration aside would you recomend the Ridged over equaly priced BS?

I am primarialy going to use it for resawing.

I currantly own Ridged TS3612 (table saw), JP0610 (jointer) & TP1300 (planer). I love my TS would not trade it for anything except a cabinet saw. The jointer is great as well. The planer is good but a lot of the time when you feed in the lumber, the tires slip and you must push/pull on it to complete the pass.

[ 04-26-2005, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Razorback ]

If you plan on resawing more than the standard 6" look for a saw with 1.5HP or more

Comment

I'm not doing anything that large, just the occasional 6" for panel sides.

Comment

Razorback,

I own and use the BS-1400. It works well for the home shop, but it is not a perfect fit.

I have no experience with the Grizzly saw, but if I had to do it all over again, I would buy up from the BS-1400.

If resawing is your primary concern, get a better saw.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo888:
            Razorback,

I own and use the BS-1400. It works well for the home shop, but it is not a perfect fit.

I have no experience with the Grizzly saw, but if I had to do it all over again, I would buy up from the BS-1400.

If resawing is your primary concern, get a better saw.
            Well said. For $400, there is better out there IMO. The motor is a bit underpowered if you are going to add a riser block. Also, I can't stand the base on mine. The base is very large and the legs splay out, making the footprint even bigger. When I use the saw, I keep kicking the legs, even though I space my feet apart. At least the other bandsaws out there have solid bases.

Comment

Good info guys!
              From everything i have read the base is really lousy. I probably overstated resaw use. I make panels occasionaly from solid wood and it is a pain with the table saw, & a little dangerous too. I would not need a riser block for what i'm doing.
              Does anyone know where i can find a band saw comparision that includes the BS1400?

Comment

Well, American Woodworker has some reviews and pro's and con's of several Band Saws to include the BS1400.

http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...T_Bandsaws.pdf
                Take a look.

Here is a link to their 2005 Tool Buyers Guide:
                http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...&contentId=244

[ 04-28-2005, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: saintsfanbrian ]
                Character is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Comment

Perfect! just what i was looking for.
                  Thanks Saints

Comment

No problem, glad I could be of help. I am new to wood working and that site has helped me pick out some of the tools that I have purchased.
                    Character is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Comment

Just brought home my new ridged BS yesterday. Took all day and some today to set up. The stand really is a piece of junk. I mounted the saw & motor to it, and when you press on the belt to test the tension, the top would flex badly (without much pressure). You could not tighten the belt to the specs in the manual, it would just keep bending!!! I solved it by cutting a 3/4 piece of MDF and mounted it under the top of the stand. That took almost all of the flex out. I guess you could add a couple pieces of angle iron to make it perfect.

That said the saw itself is great. Little if any blade flexing.

Does any one have the Riged fence for this? Is it any good? I think it cost around $75 - $100. I have seen many aftermarket fences for the same price.

Comment

In another discussion group they were discussing this fence:

http://www.prairieriverwoodworking.c...sp?optionsid=6

That's 50% off regular price.

Here the discussion:

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...v=#Post1590749

Don't know if it is compatible with the Ridgid BS1400.

[ 05-06-2005, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Van ]

Comment

Originally posted by Van:
                          In another discussion group they were discussing this fence: http://www.prairieriverwoodworking.c...sp?optionsid=6

Don't know if it is compatible with the Ridgid BS1400.
                          There is also a thread about this fence at the BT3Central site. A couple of posters said that it does fit the Ridgid BS.
                          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback:
                            Just brought home my new ridged BS yesterday. Took all day and some today to set up. The stand really is a piece of junk. I mounted the saw & motor to it, and when you press on the belt to test the tension, the top would flex badly (without much pressure). You could not tighten the belt to the specs in the manual, it would just keep bending!!! I solved it by cutting a 3/4 piece of MDF and mounted it under the top of the stand. That took almost all of the flex out. I guess you could add a couple pieces of angle iron to make it perfect.

That said the saw itself is great. Little if any blade flexing.

Does any one have the Riged fence for this? Is it any good? I think it cost around $75 - $100. I have seen many aftermarket fences for the same price.
                            Did you pay $349 for the Band Saw or $399?

Comment

I took the printout from web that showed $349, but they would not match it. They did give 10% off by using HD credit card.I don't know why they have it listed for one price on web and another at store?

Comment

Working...
                              X