Miter saw stand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter saw stand

I am interested in buying a miter saw stand. I saw one by ridgid in a magazine but I can't seem to find it in stores. Can anyone tell me where I can buy one or if anyone knows of a good sturdy portable one that the saw can stay fixed on it?
    I build decks and this stand must be able to support fairly heavy wet lumber.

Thanks alot.
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

The only one I know of that Ridgid makes is the MSUV, it was on sale at HD a few months back for around $100. I've heard rumored that was because they have a new model in the works. As far as maneuverability the MSUV is the most user friendly one I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by JJC:
      The only one I know of that Ridgid makes is the MSUV, it was on sale at HD a few months back for around $100. I've heard rumored that was because they have a new model in the works. As far as maneuverability the MSUV is the most user friendly one I've seen.
      Yeah that's the one. The HD here in Montreal Canada has this other generic one that is mobile but seems like a poor design to me. Once it is folded you have to hold on to thin metal plates and wheel it around. If that is the only one they will have I will probably make my own.
      Thanks for letting me know that HD did have it at one point.
      Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

Spend the time to find an original MSUV; it is a good deal even at the original price of $200, and worth the effort to locate.

Comment

RGad
          I have to disagree with you on your last comment. My local HD has the new model MSUV for $199.00 All the great features of the old model with a new stronger frame, and nicer feedouts. If I was spending that kind of money I would get the new model over the old.

[ 05-26-2004, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: G.W. ]
          I came...<br /><br />I saw...<br /><br />I changed the plans.

Comment

There are other options in heavy duty miter saw stands but you will have to look beyond HD. I recently gave up waiting for Ridgid to deliver more MSUVs and bought the Delta from Amazon for $170. Its very heavy duty (weighs 85 lbs. itself) and would hold up to framing/deck duty. Trojan apears to make a couple nice stands as well. I haven't used one, but if their saw horse legs are any indication, it should be very good. Rousseau also make a couple models but they seem more tediuos to set up.
            I would avoid the light duty units. My uncle has the Dewalt and the support extensions sag under any significant weight. Those are only suitable for trim.

Comment

Originally posted by manhusbandfather:
              I am interested in buying a miter saw stand. I saw one by ridgid in a magazine but I can't seem to find it in stores. Can anyone tell me where I can buy one or if anyone knows of a good sturdy portable one that the saw can stay fixed on it?
              I build decks and this stand must be able to support fairly heavy wet lumber.

Thanks alot.
              I have a Ridgid MS-UV and like it. I don't do decking work but to answer your question concerning handling heavy lumber i think the MS-UV is up to the task. It has legs which drop down to support the ends of the extensions. I have a DeWalt DW-708 mounted on mine and it handles it fine.

It does as someone else mentioned not have any true handles for use when transporting, but I have not had a problem moving it around w/o them, there are a couple places on the frame that you can grab well and have good control. Still, if I were going to be lugging this thing up/down stairs it would be nice to have some sort of handle, maybe a bar on the left side that folded down against the frame and locked in the up position.

Comment

I have used mine in deck building, and it was fine. the only drawback I see is that, though the extensions have pretty nice length stops, there is only a few feet in range, with the max somewhere around 4 feet. That has been pretty limited for me so far.
                The MSUV does have a handle, though not one that extends. I am able to get mine with a dewalt 12 cms in and out of my work van by myself, with the help of some 4 or 5 foot ramps I keep in the van. I love the compact setup- it is perfect for my needs.

Comment

I just thought I would mention that I saw a new stack of MSUVs at Home Depot the other day. There was not yet a display model out, but I assume it was the new one. I wonder what's different on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X