X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDF baseboards

I am going to be making about 2000' of baseborads for my folks out of MDF. I now need a router bit and would like to know if I would need to buy one bit or two since MDF dulls blades faster than wood. I don't want to reach 1500' and find out that the shape is looking rough.
    I know lots of people are rooting for Freud, CMT, Whiteside... What I would like to know is if anyone has used lots and lots of MDF on one router bit, what brand did you use and how was the sharpness of the bit afterwards?
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Never used them much on MDF. If you have a Woodcraft store near you they have all of their router bits on sale this week only 1/2 off. I have a lot of their bits and they work great. I would suggest picking up a couple of extras and if it turns out you don't need them for the MDF you can return the unused ones.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I've routed MDF before, but nothing close to that quantity. What I will suggest is to use good DC and wear a decent respirator. MDF spews more fine dust than anything else I've ever worked with, and it's not good stuff to breath. You may even want to sweep often so you don't slip on the floor. Good luck!

Comment

You might consider getting a diamond hone for your bit.
        Something like this in a 1200X Diamond hone
        I have had straight cutters go dull making a single Sub woofer box (rabbits and dados). Take light cuts and let the bit cool if it gets hot. When you need to stop often to let the bit cool its time for a few swipes on the diamond

Comment

Thanks guys.

I work in saftey supplies therefore you can be sure I won't be breathing the Urea Formaldahide into these lungs.

I may get one of those diamonds, it is always good to have.

How are the blades from Lee Valley? Can you compare them to Freud, Whiteside, CMT....etc?
          I bought some bits on ebay from Reliable products and they show the same pictures as Lee Valley but I still dought they are the same bits.
          Can anyone tell me what they think of LV's bits? What I would like to see in a good router bit is thick Tungstun carbide and a mirror finish on the tips proving a good sharp blade is at hand.

I saw a Freud blade and although it was thick I wasen't impressed.

Comment

Either get the $5 bits from Woodcraft if they have the profile you need on sale, or get a very high end bit like a Whiteside. Do not buy Rockler or any other mid range bit. They will dull faster and cost more in the long run.

If you buy whiteside, go to eBay or buy from Hartville Tool. Both have great prices.

Comment

How are the blades from Lee Valley? Can you compare them to Freud, Whiteside, CMT....etc?
              Nah....not IMHO. I've got one LV, so my experience with them is limited, but I consider them a "good" to "very good" bit, whereas the Freuds and Whitesides I've used are outstanding and keep an edge really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Knot Me:
                </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />How are the blades from Lee Valley? Can you compare them to Freud, Whiteside, CMT....etc?
                Nah....not IMHO. I've got one LV, so my experience with them is limited, but I consider them a "good" to "very good" bit, whereas the Freuds and Whitesides I've used are outstanding and keep an edge really well. </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks.
                Aside from the edge staying sharp, how does the thickness compare? LV's vs Freud or Whiteside?

I found a great supplier of blades (router bits, saw blades, bandsaw...) who sells Dimar. Are Dimar blads/bits any good? Apperently they are very very similat to Whiteside.

Comment

sorry about the spelling!

Comment

I swear by CMT. sommerfield tools seems to have the best prices. I wont use anything but! I do have a craftsman set i bought when i first started out, and have a few freud's mixed in that i use when there is a possibility that the bit is going to get destroyed, knicked, etc. otherwise its CMT all the way! Not that their are not other brands out there just as good if not better, in my opinion, the quality you get for the money with CMT can not be beat! MDF is a pretty soft product and watch around those corners as they will chip out. slow your router down to get a more precise cut. I think you should be able to get by with one CMT bit for your plan. just take a break every so often to allow it to cool down. you might even try to clean it half way through. that cmt 2050 cleaner is awesome. never seen anything like it!

on a different subject, i assume since the trim is going to be made out of mdf tht it will be painted? I made some corner shelves and a few other shelves for my son's room and used mdf with the exception of the backs of the long shelves those were pine. and the wood used under the corner shelves was oak. You might want to consider staining MDF. I had great success with Minwax Water Based stain on the MDF. it absorbs a lot so it will require a few coats but it looks great. just a side note

If you have access to a trim maker, or atleast have all the tools to mill rough sawn lumber i can turn you on to a guy you can get kiln dried red oak from for .60 cents a board foot.

only probem is that you might not be local

good luck...by the CMT bit and you will be happy.

actually there is one other place that might do better than sommerfield tools and that is carbide.com in ventura california. been a few years since i dealt with them though so i dont know if they still carry cmt bits. i am sure they do, they carry the blades!

good luck and happy thanksgiving
                    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

http://www.bladesnbits.com/index.ihtml
                      Excellent price and service, also
                      http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/index.html

I also have done(mdf routing) many thousands of feet.I used with those bits but buy a sharpner, they will get dull. Rockler has a set on sale for $9.99(3pc)
                      I try to cut off the excess scrap areas with the TS first after making a test piece(bevel rip cut) and it helps the bit stay sharp and much less dust and I can do it on one pass. Dust collection is a must!

Can you believe a simple ogee 4" base MDF(saw dust and glue) is !$1.05/ft @ HD. I will not pay that for such a simple mld.

It is hard not to get "wavey lines in MDF,feed constant, non stop ,and use in and down featherboards on a router table if possible. I use 2 coats of primer, and I do sand a bit prior to painting if the profile is not exact.

Comment

Working...
                      X