X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toy boxes

I just made A toy box for my 2 1/2 year old son out of 1 by tens and the hinged lid I'm afraid is is heavy enohgh to realy hurt hurt him shuld fall on him! Is ther something out there like what they have on car hatches to slow the lid down when closing?

Be safe out.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Be safe out there folks
    Bob B
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Bob: Might look at these or something similar.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...0&filter=26179

This link has a formula to figue what size support you need.

Keep that little one safe.

Woodrat

Comment

Woodcraft might also have something like Woodrat recommended at Rockler.

Comment

Thanks guys Rockler stores has just the thing,called toy box lid supports made just for 3/4'' wood. Comes in 3 sizes to match the weight of your top.

Be safe out there folks.
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        Be safe out there folks
        Bob B
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

I made a toy box for my boy as well and I needed two of those supports.
          Note: If you need two as well make sure you buy a left one and a right one.
          Note: The lid does not open to a 90* angle, more like a 60*. It is a little annoying because when ever people open it and it dosen't open all the way for them to see in they think there is a problen in the construction. It is fine for kids so I guess I have to live with it. If you fine anything else out there please post in in here because I may build a hundred of these and will be on the look out for different supports if available.
          Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

Manhusband Im not sure if you went on the site that Woodrat posted for rockler.com ,,go up to his post and clik on that rockler post you'll see a, box support ,and above click on-supports-or-soft down lid supports- I found just what I needed and a good number to choose from.The guy I talked at the rockler by me also said always use L&R supports never just one.
            Be safe out there folks!
            Bob
            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
            Be safe out there folks
            Bob B
            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

I made a toy box for my 3 year old grand daughter a little over a year ago. Used those exact same hinges. Found them at Home Depot I do believe. Used one on the left side and one on the right side. Not sure if you did this but I would like to make one suggestion. Please cut air holes in the back wall, whether you build one or one hundred. Children have been known to crawl in boxes and fall asleep. If they wake up in the dark and disoriented, they may panic enough to not realize how to open the lid. I know it sounds farfetched and highly unlikely, and although my grand daughter is never out of someone's sight for less than a minute, accidents do happen. I took my hole saw and randomly cut 6 1" holes in the back. Better safe than sorry. Murray
              Goldenwing

Comment

Your right one Goldenwing...

My box is made so that the lid has a gap for air circulation and a long slot in the back for both air and light to come in.

Bob bridgwater....I just looked at the supports and they have exactly what I need.
                Thank you for the detail I missed.
                Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

Working...
                X