X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial indicator

Does anyone know how to calculate the travel distance when rotating a TS blade from 90degree to 45degree? I am thingking of getting a dial indicator and want to know if there is any way of measuring a 45deg. blade with the dial.
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Yes, but you do not have a flat 0 reference plane to measure from. The 0 reference is the middle of the arbour and that sits below the table and swings in an arc not a pivot point. Use an engineers square to set your blade at 90 and adjust your saws pointer to 90, that should get you close enough. To verify take two flat pieces of wood cut them at 45 then mate the cut surfaces. If they join with no gap you are at 45. If you feel the need you can get a set of engineers angle blocks but not really necessary IMHO.
    angle blocks

Comment

Go to Harbor Freight's Website and type in 34214 in the PN search box. This angle finder gives me very accurate results. If the fact that it's from Harbor Freight bothers you, there are other companies that make similiar angle finders.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks wBrooks & BD. I like the idea of the angle blocks but don't like to spend $ for a whole set when I only need one. I like the angle finder and I have seen it somewhere...accurate to +-1/2 a degree....not sure if I want to tolerate that.

Hey, do any of you have the flashlight from the combo kit that you would like to sell?

Comment

Personally, I'd cut myself a good 45-degree block out of decent hardwood and use it as a guide/template for future cuts. Obviously, you may have to make a few cuts on pine scraps before to find the right setting. (Mate the cuts as previously described to ensure your angle is right!). Once done however, cut the hardwood block and then use it for all future setups. Just lay it on the table and adjust the blade to contact. Also, once the correct setting is found, make the bevel guage so you have a quick reference to return to.

Hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

An easy and inexpensive 45° guage is one of those plastic artist triangles. They're only a few bucks and surprisingly accurate.

Michael

Comment

If you have one, you could always put a 45° Chamfer Bit into your router and make an angle block.

Comment

Here are two other options that I found flipping through the Lee Valley Catalogue.

Acu-angle - similar to the HF solution but accurate to 1/5 degree
                ACU-Angle

Veritas Poly Gauge - acurate to 1/12 degree
                Poly Gauge

Comment

Blocks are good but limited. With dial gadges you can set blade angels and adjust the jointer blades and many other tools.
                  I like the idea of making blocks to set angels. With these blocks I would be able to use them on the dial just like the TS Angler.

Thanks all!

I haven't been on here in a few days since my wife gave birth to our second boy (in half an hour). It's nie to be back on here.

Comment

Originally posted by manhusbandfather:
                    I haven't been on here in a few days since my wife gave birth to our second boy (in half an hour). It's nie to be back on here.
                    Well, there goes your shop time. Congratulations on the new addition.

Comment

Working...
                    X