X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arbor Runout

What should the allowable runout be for an arbor? I had a mishap [img]redface.gif[/img] while cutting a miter, an i think i caused a bent arbor. I have not measured it with a Dial indicator yet, but i can detect it by clamping a board to a miter guage at the tooth closest to the board. it cuts reasonably clean (getting saw marks with a ForrestII).

If this is a tablesaw, you are much, much, much more likely to have bent the blade than damaged the arbor. Arbors are really very tough, especially since the relatively fragile blade acts as a shock absorber.

Off the top of my head, the allowable maximum total indicated runout of the arbor flange should probably be in the 3 thousandths range. I won't fight someone who wants to contest that though...

Dave

Comment

You are correct, i did bend some teeth, and the blade body. Or, atleast that is what the blade sharpener said he corrected when i returned the blade for re-sharpening and straightening.

Is that 3 thousandths at the arbor flange? And if so, is it possible that the manufacture has a similar max runout from the factory?

Comment

Yeah, .003" at the flange, TIR. It's just an off the cuff guesstimate though. Call RIDGID Customer Service to get the real number.

I can look up an allowable number, probably, when I get home. If you want me to, please send an e-mail to davearbuckle@hotmail.com to remind me.

Dave

Comment

mayres, if you still want the arbor runout do a search on one of these forums. I believe our good friend Jake posted it at one point. If my memory serves me correctly (probably doesn't [img]smile.gif[/img] ), it is 0.001" at the arbor which translated into 0.005" at the blade tip. You must add the runout of your blade to the 0.005" but this may be gotten around by marking the blade and arbor, measuring, then rotating the blade on the arbor and measuring again.

Comment

Working...
          X