X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router table vibration

I practiced making some crown moldings on my router w/table and noticed there is a little vibration. The bit I used is a 2" high by 1.25" wide bit with a 1/2" shank. I was milling a piece of pine. Other bits seem fine but this bit bit is causing a little vibration. What should I check first to correct this.

Thanks
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

These bits are easily flexed if your feed rate is too fast or cuts are too heavy. Does it vibrate when it spins without feeding wood into it? How fast is it spinning? If you have a dial gauge you could check the runout

Comment

Vibrates without the wood passing through it. I am not exactly sure of the exact speed but I know it is slower than the other bits and the wood is not burning when I do pass it through. The cut is pretty smooth so there is no problem there. Maybe it is because I never seen anyone else use a big bit in a router table only a shaper bit in a shaper machine at a course I took and it was a heavy duty one.

I guess it may be normal although I will check to see is the table can use reinforcements.

Thanks
      Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

Perhaps the bit is out of balance. Who manufactured it? I have a few large bits of similar size from Freud. None of them vibrate. I've tried some of the inexpensive bits from China and some were so out of round the bearing guide chattered on the wood. If your setup only vibrates with this bit, even when your not cutting, its probably the bit.

Comment

I'd agree with Bytebutcher. Either that or, the larger, heavier bit is excentuating existing runout in the router itself. Only way you'd know for sure is to try something like a horizontal panel raising bit. Brands/price do matter, particularly on larger bits, in any event.
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X