R4512 tolerance and accuracy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4512 tolerance and accuracy?

I just purchased a R4512 a month ago, I have a master plate and a analog dial indicator I used to align my saw blade to the Miter slot, and the to the fence. I am having trouble getting the arbor parallel with the miter slot I have used bar clamps to move the arbor however the arbor flexes, all four bolts are lose. My question is what kind of tolerance should I expect with arbor to miter slot in thousandants of and inch? So far I am only able to get it to 2 thou from the leading edge of the plate to the trailing edge I think I should be able to get a zero difference. The fence is a another problem the aluminum extrusion has 40 thou difference from the front to the back. This makes it impossible to make a straight cut. I have ordered a replacement fence it was damaged when it Arrived a new one is on the way? I have also noticed when I clamp the fence down the base of the fence will flex I have loosened the clamp pressure bolt at the end Of the fence however when it is lose enough to keep the base from flexing the fence will slide. Oh and I do have the problem of the arbor changing angle as I raise the blade :-( I can see no fix for this. Any suggestions? How tight of tolerances should I expect? What are yours? Blade/arbor to miter slot and fence to slot or blade? Thanks A former CNC installer this maybe why I expect such close tollorances

Yea, you expect too much. Especially from a saw in that price range.
    sigpic

Comment

it's a known problem for this saw. everyone has it. the saw is hobby-builder grade, not professional grade.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

You're asking way to much if I got mine done to .002 I'd be real happy. The fence that might be a different story. You should try to get the back of the blade further then the front to reduce the chance of kickback. Since I. Not sure which way yours is you should double check it. Maybe try adding a sacrificial fence to your and see what happens then.

Comment

~~But if you can get your saw with in .002 I think you have done well,

wood will not hold .002 tolerance,

we had a wood screen door when I was a kid, when it was dry out the door would almost miss the jam, and when it rained it would swell so much it would not fit in the jam, close to 3/4" expansion and contraction on that old door,

yes one wants to set up there saw the best it can be, but unless your a much better cabinet maker than I am, I have never been able to keep tolerance in the thousands on wood, it is hard enough in steel,

even most good metal mills are only good to about a .001, if hand operated, (I am not a great machinist, but I have ran a lathe and mill for a number of years in my shop repairing farm machinery and making hard to find replacement parts, and my equipment is well worn, but keeping tolerances in the thousands is not easy,

just the expansion and contraction from heat and cold can move metals a lot,

Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thank you all for the feed back, it has confirmed my suspicions that this saw is not very good at holding tolerances. Since I posted the question I worked with the saw for several hours using a dial indicator and a master Plate. I do have the right miter slot and the arbor parallel it is less than a half of a thou from the leading edge of the master plate to the trailing edge, Yes it can be aligned with patience. With a new blade a tenryu Gold Medal GM 2540 blade, I can hold 5 thousands inch tolerance over 18 inches. The new blade has not been over heated. However the run out on the blade is 2 thou. This is cutting along the edge of the old fence with a sacrificial piece of 1/2 Baltic Birch, The arbor is surprisingly is dead on as far as run out! Yes I have alignment issue when I raise and lower the blade. When I check the right miter slot against the left there is a 1 thou difference. Yes we are talking wood working tools and not machine tools. My old unisaw was dead on in every aspect but I will say it was a higher priced saw. Due to AIDs I had to sell it! (AIDs Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) I am over that now and trying to build my shop back. I guess I am going to have to save my penny's and dollars for a better saw, I will also add that the fence has 80 thou dip along the face of the fence in the middle of the fence. I ordered a new one under warranty and It was FEDEXed to me. it was poorly packaged, and arrived with the end cap missing and the screw hole ripped up. I contacted Customer Support. And they sent me a new fence and a miter gauge as the original one was very sloppy in the slot. They both arrived today in a better packaged box, I am out to the shop to see if it is any better. With the miter gauge I most likely will not use it. I have a cross cut sled for that and it is safer to. Again thanks for the feed back. Back to making what I make best with wood! Saw Dust!

Comment

Now if the saw dust is out of tolerance your in trouble.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Geeesh, this guy plagiarized BHD's post.

Comment

Update of R4512 after getting the arbor and the miter slot a half of a thou parallel to each other by using two clamps one pulling against one side of the arbor to the cabinet and one pulling in the opissit direction, also keeping the bolts on the arbor snug but not tight. When I needed to reposition the arbor I would tighten one clamp and losen the other clamp. That seemed to work for me. The new fence arrived and it was much better at being parallel if forget how far out it was. The point is I can cut red oak and have it with in one thou over 60 inches so I am happy with it now. I trammed the Tenrue blade at a machine shop on a granit stone, it turns out the blade was warped I contacted Tenrue they sent me another blade and it is dead on. And they said to keep the old one, I use it for non critical cuts. Would I suggest or buy another TS from Ridgid? No a pipe wrench or close in tubbing cutters? Yes.

Comment

Working...
                  X