Dado blade sets - 8" or 6"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado blade sets - 8" or 6"

I just picked up a used r4511 and want to use a dado set. Is a 6" set easier on the saw then an 8". Or does it not really matter. The price is very different. Thank you

I am sure the 6" would be easier on the saw motor
    and unless you're running constant production,
    will suffice for your dado cutting needs.
    As well as initial cost, consider the cost of maintenance
    (sharpening, cleaning) in money and time.
    Like anything else, an investment in a quality set
    will pay off in the long run.

Comment

I have about 6 dado sets over the years, and started out stacking some cheap saw blades 7 1/4", even tried wobble washers.

the size diameter IMO has little to do with the cut, more the fit on the saw, and ease of setting it up,
      another Opinion on the subject http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/arti...8-dado-stacks/

the type of head is important, especially depending on what your trying to do,

a cheap head is fine for construction grade lumber, but will chew up plywood like a chain saw on a cross cut

but if your doing fine veneered sheet goods, you will want a good blade,

I have a older Freud set, I think it would compare to the Freud super dado, http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-...ead-sd508.aspx (if the freud dado was avaible when I started, it would have saved me a lot of money buying one blade (possibly two, one for construction work), and one for cabinet work,

I bought three dado from sears, the two that were no carbide tipped were junk, bought a wobble head surprising a reasonable good cut, I never had any problems but it was a wicked machine,

if your thinking fine wood working on sheet goods, don't just get some thing, get one with a very good review, (if you don't have the bet, a sheet of oak veneer will look like you took a chain saw to it, (oak sheet goods are one of the harder to cut across the grain),

If you buy a cheap one now most likely you will not be happy for long, unless you just grooving 2x4's and that is all you want to do, with it.

Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

one more thing, not that many years ago, saws came in 8" blade formats, I have a delta that is a 9" saw, so my guess is, the 6" sets were made at one time to fir the small saw formats, and the 8 for what I would call full size saws,

but if the arbor diameter is correct a 6" can be used on a 10" saw, but a 8" dado head could easily have problems fitting a 8" saw, but a 6" would do nicely,

I have no idea on what the manual says but one could check what it recommends. but I am sure both will work fine, I have used a 6" on my 10" saw. and I have used 8" heads as well. (my saw is not you saw model it is a little older (I think it is older than I am).
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

My 6 inch dado blade does everything and more for my needs...get a nice carbide tipped set and take care not to drop it when installing on the saw...good way to loose some teeth quickly and easier to do than you would think.

Comment

Unless you plan on doing dado cuts that are deeper than 1ΒΌ" there is really no need for an 8" dado set. The 6" dado sets will do up to that depth and the lighter weight will also be easier on you saws motor. It's far more important to purchase a quality dado set than the diameter of the blades.
            ================================================== ====
            ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I have a 6" dado set on a Delta 10" direct drive contractor saw.
              I use this saw as a dedicated dado saw!
              My results are as follows:

1. less stress on the motor
              2. typical dado depth for most 3/4" plywood projects is 3/8"
              3. If I need a 1" or deeper dado I start with the dado saw and then use a
              a router to increase the depth to 1" or deeper.
              4. Make sure you get shims as plywood today will vary significantly!
              most plywood is imported and is based on metric measurements
              and can vary by 1/64". Set up for a proper fit is critical!

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
              X