Removing nails from salvage lumber? tool review on nail removers,

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing nails from salvage lumber? tool review on nail removers,

I acquired some salvage lumber from the land fill, I went down and pulled out a bunch of 2x10, and 2x12's from some old barns the hog farms tore down, (yes they smell), been told one can clorox it off,

any way these were trusses that chopped up in about 10 to 20 foot long sections, lots of 8d nails where they had had the puritans nailed in,

got looking and found a air tool that works like a nail gun to push the nails back out, there is a hollow nose one slips over the nail and straighten it and pull the trigger and will back it out at least 3/4" below the surface of the lumber, (many still have to pulled from the other side, but the nail as moved and head exposed,) on 3/4 it just shoots them out,

I saw thee brands on amazon, ranging form about $50 to $300, all look like the saem idea, all looked imported, I ordered the $50 unit, called the air locker ap700, and a extra driver,
    https://www.amazon.com/Air-locker-pr.../dp/B003X2QM3G

I have only done about 10 boards so far, I hope it holds up but so far, at this point I would buy it again,

it is about the size of a brad nailer, and I also ordered a crescent made nail puller, https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-NP11...X5ATAHJZ366FJT,

and it works better than a hammer in this situation, as I can grip the rusted nails and pull at the base of the nail, using the hammer some of the heads would pop off the nail leaving the shank,

this lumber is nasty with nails, 3 to 4 nails from one side and about 8 toe nailed in from the other side, with a ribbon of 1x2 that they sat on, every two foot,

my other option was to use a grinder and cut off wheel and a second grinder to grind the shanks to lumber surface, but I do like leaving the nails in the lumber,

try to possibly get a picture of the lumber later, and post it,

on videos they show the tools being used to drive the nails on through 3/4" like on a wood fence,

I have two old crescent nail pullers my grandfather had, Crescent 56 Nail Puller and work reasonably well nice for salvaging lumber but this works good for my current need, there still made and can be bought on amazon,

but if one is in to salvaging lumber and need to de nail lumber I think these two or three tools could be of value, to one,

Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Pretty great tool and if your a form carpenter or laborer it's perfect for removing nails from concrete forms. Better that trying to pound them out.

Comment

• fixitright
      fixitright commented
      Editing a comment
      A good roaring fire gets them separated from the wood!

a few pictures of the lumber, it helps a lot
    Attached Files
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I've had that crescent # 56 slide hammer nail puller for well or 30 years. Haven't used it in years. Looks like a design from 1956.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

A lot of these houses around me were built in the 20's have beautiful clear redwood. Old houses here usually get deconstructed with all the wood sorted by sizes and what condition it's in. Most of it used to go down to Mexico where it would get repurposed into all sorts of uses from houses, furniture, picture frames, trinkets etc. Nowadays the best lumber is used by local artists and craftsmen to turn into coffee tables, end tables, art peices etc. But a lot of old lumber goes down there still especially old wood garage doors.

When I tore apart the kitchen I pulled all the nails and have been slowly reusing the old lumber in non structural areas. This old growth redwood has a distinctive aroma and it's tight grain is something you can no longer find. I've got to tear another wall apart so I'll have more than enough wood to make a decent size coffee table.
        Last edited by Mightyservant; 08-18-2018, 12:28 AM.

Comment

I'm looking to find a source for some redwood. My wife made a needlepoint of a scene of giant sequoias and I would like to make a frame from sequoia redwood. Thinking about something with a live edge sort of look along the outside edges and a cross lap with short extensions at the corners. I figure I need at least 4 pieces of 6/4 x 4" about 3 foot long. Haven't had much luck finding sources of redwood online, guess I am on the wrong coast for that stuff.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 11-29-2018, 08:35 AM.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Comment

• Mightyservant
            Mightyservant commented
            Editing a comment
            If some come up, I'll let you know. The material I have is full of nail holes from the lathing that was attached. The holes are oxidized but might work for a rustic table or similar.

• Bob D.
            Bob D. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, I could probably work around nail holes or actually make them a feature as you say. 4/4 boards 3 or 4 inches wide would work. I need a minimum of 30 inches in length. Looked at the pieces on the link you gave, those big slabs are very expensive and it would be a shame to chop one up into little pieces I need for a picture frame. I'll keep looking, something will turn up.

• Mightyservant
            Mightyservant commented
            Editing a comment
            Right now I've got 5 decent 2" x 2.75" studs which are about 7'8" or so these came off an interior wall. I've got a 2 - 2"x 3.5" about 36" long and a number off misc cut offs under 2' on both sizes. I have quite a bit of .875 x 7.75 subfloor (boards). If you've got fiends or family in town I'll be happy to drop what ever you can use.

I've got another interior wall to demo in a few months but those are all 2" x 2.75" might have around 10 studs and shorter sections.

nails in used wood are a bane of a lot of cutting equipment so heres one little trick i use
          after i have pulled all the nails from the wood I place a hard drive magnet on a piece of paper and drag it along the length of the wood!
          It will latch onto any iron or steel nail remaining so you can look closely for it.
          brass and copper nails are more visible in old wool by the patina stains they leave.
          shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
          X